Brussels - Host of the prettiest square in Europe


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
April 9th 2006
Published: May 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

From Amsterdam we caught a train through the Netherlands and Belgium to Brussels where we would spend the night before heading back to London for work. Johan and Bea were heading to Paris for three nights, and we were to meet up with Luke and Carmel on their way from Switzerland. As soon as we checked in Luke and Carmel came to meet us, with some valuable possessions they had picked up for us in Lucern. The last time Liani and I were in Switzerland we found these beautiful rings which we bought one another. Only problem was we had to wait until Luke picked them up on his way through Luzern. Needless to say it was nice to recieve them and to see my brother who had been travelling for the previous three weeks.
After catching up for a drink, Luke and Carmel headed for Rotterdam, and we went to discover the square and tourist sights of Brussels. Its such a beautiful square, bordered by a palace and other important buildings of the 16th and 17th century. We visited Mannikin Pis, enjoyed very messy Belgium waffles and saw Mannikin's female counterpart, who unlike Mannikin, hides in a little alleyway off the main tourist beat. We all enjoyed a meal of mussels, prawns and frites and headed to see the square lit up at night. There was a lovely atmosphere with street performers and loads of people enjoying the temperate night air.
The next day Liani and I caught a train to the airport for our return home, while Johan and Bea set off for their first European trip alone. They had three days in Paris to look forward to, while we were back to work, looking forward to the following weekend trip to Spain....



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 26; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb