Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region
August 7th 2021
Published: August 7th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Brussels

Two visits today in daylight and at night.

As beautiful as it is during the day for me at night the city looks even more stunning especially the Grand Place.

Brussels is the administrative, commercial, and financial heart of Belgium, and the majority of services and institutions of national importance are based in the city.

The city is bilingual, and in all spheres of public life Flemish and French are used side by side.



UNESCO Grand Place. The square "illustrates in an exceptional way the evolution and achievements of a highly successful mercantile city of northern Europe at the height of its prosperity".

It has been a marketplace since the 12th century and it was increasing lined by houses and market halls, which are still mostly built of wood. The Gothic City Hall was built in the 15th century in three stages; it was also in this century that the guilds established themselves in the houses around the Grand-Place. After being bombarded by Louis XIV's troops in 1695, it was almost entirely rebuilt. Significant restoration and modification work was also carried out in the following centuries.



Manneken-Pis was at
first a fountain that played an essential role in the former distribution of drinking water since the 15th century. The system was well-known in all of Europe.

Towards the end of the 17th century, the statue became more and more important in the city life. It was also a survivor of the bombardment of Brussels in 1695. Manneken-Pis became a precious good and enjoys a ceaselessly growing glory.

During big events he is adorned with luxurious clothes.



The Royal Palace was built on the site of the former Palace of the Dukes of Brabant which was destroyed by fire in 1731. Started in 1820 under the reign of King William, it was modified in 1904 under Leopold II, who had it rebuilt in Louis XVI style. The side wings date from the 18th century and at the end of each wing there is a pavilion. On the left that of the Civil List and on the right the Hotel Bellevue which is currently the BELvue Museum.



https://www.heygo.com/stephan


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement




















Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb