Sarah blogging about June 3 a day late


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had a long bus ride from Amsterdam to Brussels - even though we started out before rush hour there was beaucoup traffic (practicing my French). Finally we arrived at the hotel around 8pm, quickly checked in and within 15 minutes or so, headed out to see what there was to see in Brussels. We found waffles, chocolate and beer!

This morning (Wed. June 3) after Ryan G. chased down the bus (Professor Brunel wasn't kidding when he said he wasn't waiting for anyone!) we were on our way to the European Commission. We had three lecture-style sections on the following topics:
*EU institutions
*EU-US trade relations
*EU environmental challenges

Later, after stopping to see the Atomium (built in 1958 as a futuristic iron molecule sculpture) and having some lunch we were on our way to Daimler. The session tied together a lot of what we learned about earlier in the morning about trans-Atlantic relations/public affairs. One theme in particular that has emerged - at least as far as our agenda has taken us so far - is that of the government playing an important role in the execution of business practices. Perhaps because we were in Brussels this was especially relevant, but it was something I will listen for going forward on the trip as we visit Paris and Budapest and specific companies.

After a great class dinner at La Manufacture we ended the night sampling a few more Belgian beers. We headed back to the hotel exhausted, although ready to finish our next day in Brussels and then continue on to Paris...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb