Antwerp (and tulips!)


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Antwerp Province » Antwerp
April 11th 2018
Published: April 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The ship arrived in Antwerp (Belgium) quite early this morning. Again, we docked next to another ship, and there were three docked in front of us (must be a popular place). Antwerp is close to the ocean, so the river is tidal, and we have been warned that if we return to the ship, and can't see it, the ship hasn't gone anywhere, but the tide is out, and the ship is below the level of the dock!

Yet another walking tour this morning, of Antwerp, but we took the "late starters" option (missed the inside of the cathedral). Had a great guide, with a fabulous sense of humour (makes all the difference), and a very interesting tour. Again, European history is so complicated, and most of it happened before Australia even existed. But Antwerp was occupied many times, by many different people. It is famous for diamonds (but didn't get any), and like other parts of Belgium, waffles, chocolate and beer! And the rain held off till we were on the way back to the ship. When we did get back, there was another ship docked next to us - must be a logistical nightmare!

Skipped the chocolate, waffle, and beer tour in the afternoon, and instead went to Floralia near Brussels - about an hour by bus. This is a flower exhibition in the grounds of a castle (Groot-Bijgaarden) using mostly spring bulbs (more than a million of them) tulips, hyacinth and daffodils. A lot of them were not flowering yet, but a lot were, so it was lovely walking around. They also had an exhibition of flower arrangements in a greenhouse.

Because we were in Belgium, dessert at dinner tonight was a Belgian chocolate buffet - ate way too much!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb