Minsk, is a pleasant city that has a lot to offer


Advertisement
Belarus' flag
Europe » Belarus » Minsk Voblast » Minsk
April 1st 2018
Published: April 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Just a year ago Belarusian airline (Belavia) starting out a flight from Belgium to Minsk, and at the same time, they withdrew the tourist visa. Most nationalities can visit Belarus for five days with a visa-free. Minsk is on my list for quite some time, but our trip was postponed a few times due to the hassle of the visa. When I heard the news about withdrawn the tourist visa I can't wait to visit Minsk. This a good news for all of us, so with no doubt I book our ticket through the website of Belavia airline and can't wait the day we departed.

Belavia airline based in Brussels South, a second and smaller airport in Belgium. The airport is mostly used for short haul destination, due to its location, takes an effort to reach by public transport but we managed to come by car and park in one of the cheapest parking nearby. Is a 2 h 40 minutes fly and arrived on time in Minsk. Minsk National Airport is pretty small, the first thing I saw when entering to arrival building was that we're direct to a passport control, but first, we needed the insurance document before headed to the immigration without the insurance, we won't get a visa. The small counter where you can buy the insurance is located on the left side when entering the building before the passport control.

We have three days in Minsk, the insurance fee for a three-day cost 2 euro. Thus, after we got the insurance slip, we line up to the passport counters. Passport control goes smoothly, the first thing that the officer asked 'is this your first time in Belarus and how many days. Given a simple answer and so we got stamped. From the immigration, is only a short walk to the exit, but before going out, we first withdraw some Ruble cash. Then we headed to the exit number 6 where the airport shuttle bus --1400 or 1430 TK. I read this is the cheapest way to the city center. For 4 Ruble per person and 0.40 cent for the luggage, is a real bargain.

The bus wasn't there yet, we waited for about ten minutes and while standing there I saw the ticket machine, but this accepts credit card only. Thus, I asked someone around if we could buy a ticket on the bus and they said yes. When the bus arrived, the driver was immediately loading our bags to under compartment and we all standing in line and waited to get onboard. Well, we're lucky to be the first aboard, a lot of people weren't allowed to board because the bus is completely full. And the next bus will be coming in 40 minutes, so we're lucky to be the first.

The trip takes 45 minutes to Minsk central station. And then we took a metro to our hotel for 0.65 cent ruble. Our hotel is situated near Caliuskincau park, is a short walk from metro station Park Caliuscau. Traveling in Minsk is not very easy, everything is written down in Cyrillic even the name of our hotel Olimpiysky is not translated into English, is a disaster to find the building. We had the address but can't find the hotel, is annoying we're standing in front of the hotel, but doubting if we're in the right place. We asked different people on the street, but no one speaks English, in the end, we saw one lady in the parking we show her the hotel voucher, and she pointed out the building in front of us. The good thing is, the clerk speaks English.



Touring the city



The first thing I did is checked the weather conditions and it says going to rain. I don’t mind the cold temperature as long as it is dry. Belarus is known for the cold winter, and were so lucky we didn’t come earlier, is likely cold in Minsk. The snow still lies everywhere in the city, but the temperature is bearable. Summer would be the best time to visit in Minsk.

As a capital of Belarus, Minsk lies on the Svisloch River. The city is not only rich in history but also has a flourishing cultural and traditional life. Minsk was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War. Nowadays, there are only a few buildings of the 17th century, which are among the oldest architectural monuments.

To start with, we took the metro to Nemiga district. Metro is the cheapest way around for 0.65 cents ruble this takes you most part in the city. However, I found the metro lines a bit complicated although there are only two lines, we managed to find our way. Each stop is indicated and announced, despite, the combination with the absence of the English language getting off in a station is somewhat awkward, but we figured out where we are.

It wasn’t a good idea visiting Minsk on Easter Sunday, is the tradition where they all go to the church that day. And likely a special day, people standing in line carrying flowers and waiting to go inside, so we haven't seen the church inside. We continue our walk to the riverside( Svislotsj) to see the monument of (Island of Tears) which is dedicated to 700 forgotten soldiers who died in a battle in Afghanistan. Is also, a good spot to see the city across the river. Then we headed to imposing opera/ballet an theater. Things we want to see are far away from each other, walking is possible but thinking we will be cracking at the end of the day and besides, metro is very cheap, so we took every time the metro.

Just wandering around, the city is fascinating with the modern architecture, tall apartment buildings and a number of public buildings. Belarus itself has no raw materials and is economically highly dependent on Russia. One thing I notice, Minsk is a clean city, there is no dirt anywhere on the street, probably the cleanest European city I've ever seen. We managed to see most of the sites, but a few of monuments that are situated outside the city center is not doable with metro anymore. So we took the city tour in the afternoon, is not really cheap but is our only way to see all buildings, such as the library, a striking shape with its large futuristic structure. We pay 30 rubles for one hour and a half tour which was worth it. The city tour bus is departed across from the central station. The tickets are available on the bus.

Coming back from the city tour we still have time to do some shopping and is not necessarily to walk that far. Plenty of shopping opportunities in Minsk. As we're flying back home tomorrow we want to find a souvenir. Were collecting small souvenir from every place each time we travel. So, when we got off the tour bus, we walk to an underground mall, as we were close to it. Is a small shopping mall where weren't many choices for souvenirs. We bought what we thought is a nice souvenir from Minsk. It was getting so late, and one thing still we need to see and do is the popular pub Gambrinus- the only pub in Minsk who carry 100 different kinds of beers and we're curious. So before headed back to our hotel, we first went inside and have a drink. This pub looks like one of the pubs in Belgium. Is amazing to see some of Belgium beers. Thereafter, we headed back to our hotel and went to a restaurant nearby. It was a very long day and I think we’ve seen all what necessary to see in Minsk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement











10th February 2020

Great Review!
Hi Shavy, I remember you from the days of VirtualTourist (VT)!! Thanks for sharing the excellent information on your trip to Minsk -- it's very helpful. Thanks too for sharing your great photos of this interesting place.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb