Background: After seven decades as a constituent republic of the USSR, Belarus attained its independence in 1991. It has retained closer political and economic ties to Russia than any of the other former Soviet republics. Belarus and Russia signed a treaty on a two-state union on 8 December 1999 envisioning greater political and economic integration. Although Belarus agreed to a framework to carry out the accord, serious implementation has yet to take place. Since his election in July 1995 as the country's first president, Alexander LUKASHENKO has steadily consolidated his power through authoritarian means. Government restrictions on freedom of speech and the press, peaceful assembly, and religion continue.
Photos from Minsk
Blogs from Minsk
Latest Blogs from Minsk
- September 29th 2013 Minsk...the European Capital without tourists...
by Words: 675 Photos: 34
- May 30th 2013 Minsk - Round Two
by Words: 549 Photos: 3
- May 25th 2013 Minsk - Round One
by Words: 1291 Photos: 3
- January 1st 2013 Минск- Берлин
by Words: 13 Photos: 1
- October 20th 2012 Belarus part II - outside Minsk
by Words: 876 Photos: 24
- October 19th 2012 Belarus part I - Minsk
by Words: 904 Photos: 21
- July 18th 2012 Minsk
by Words: 891 Photos: 4
- September 8th 2011 Did I find Rochelle or her Daughter?
by Words: 3007 Photos: 35
- April 26th 2011 Belarus: Annoying the KGB and enjoying Brest
by Words: 1136 Photos: 21
- April 26th 2011 Vol 4 - Minsk & the KGB
by Words: 1306 Photos: 28
- September 7th 2010 The peaceful lull of the vuvuzela
by Words: 1424 Photos: 6
- September 6th 2010 In Soviet times...
by Words: 1164 Photos: 6
- September 4th 2010 At the mercy of a Belarusian hipster
by Words: 1858 Photos: 4
- July 8th 2010 Back in the U.S.S.R.
by Words: 654 Photos: 21
- June 25th 2009 Minsk
by Words: 1714 Photos: 47
- May 9th 2009 Victory Day in Minsk
by Words: 2119 Photos: 9
- September 21st 2008 Minsk....
by Words: 288 Photos: 7
- September 10th 2008 Part 9: Minsk (Days 19, 20, 21, 22)
by Words: 2024 Photos: 24
- August 15th 2008 Belarus
by Words: 1052 Photos: 0
- June 4th 2008 So many planes, so little internet.
by Words: 775 Photos: 49