Slovenia – Austria. From the Land of fairy tales to the land of tunnels.


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
May 20th 2012
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

An Austrian!An Austrian!An Austrian!

Gee has lost a lot of weight and really got into the local dress code!
Did the Austrian transport department employ an army of troglodytes to build their roads? After crossing the border from Slovenia we seemed to disappear into a tunnel and emerge somewhere near Salzburg! Not quite true, and those parts of the journey in daylight made us realise how stunning the Alps are. Those lofty peaks, seen from afar as the backdrop to our view in Slovenia, were now up close and personal. They tower icily over the pretty green valleys that have been sprinkled with yellow dust of spring flowers. One thing we have really appreciated over the few last weeks is the diversity of landscapes we have travelled through, never ceasing to amaze us that Europe offers so many differences, to be seen in the space of a hundred miles or so.



We had been experiencing temperatures of 30 degrees before the ‘mother of all storms’ in Bled and now we woke up to ice on the windows of the van after our first night in Austria!



Those of you who have read these travellers tales over the last few weeks (we’re tempted to say you all need to find a hobby or get out more!) will know that the blog has turned into a catalogue of incompetence! One mishap, malfunction – call it what you will - we have not mentioned yet is that the electric onboard heating packed up in week one. Not a problem because we have gas as back up. Yes but some of you will recall that we have the wrong gas cylinders for Europe and cannot top it up! So we are choosing between keeping warm and cooking! One of our campsite brief encounters said "If travelling goes according to plan, it's not travelling!"

We spent a day in the Austrian town of Murau and hiked into the mountains for a long walk. Horace gave us all the shivers by standing right on the edge of serious drops to look over as we cautiously stepped along hugging the safe side of the path. Great day though and good to get some exercise. By the way once the sun has climbed the summits the temperature soared and we both seemed to get a sort of dry sunburn.

Just a short stop in Austria, didn’t find Hallstatt in the end as the road approaching it looked like a mountain pass and towing the van over icy passes did not appeal! So off to southern Germany next, trying to work it so that we get to Dunkirk two days before the crossing to get Horace to the vet. He must be cleared of bringing back any of the ‘orrible diseases that they may still have in Europe, plague, scurvey, typhoid etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb