Prague


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
April 26th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

just got back from Prague at about 5am this morning!

what an amazing city! it is very big and full of stuff to do. i think i like it best so far (excluding Vienna). a whole bunch of us went this time for our friend, Carly's bday. it is actually today...but we wanted to go to Prague to pre-celebrate. so carly, jessica, devin, nick, megan (a friend of carly's who is backpacking right now) and I all took the bus on friday morning and headed to prague.

we got in the city at around 5:30 pm...so it wasnt a very long bus ride at all. the metro there is very simple and only has 3 lines so that was nice. our hostel was easy to find and we all shared one big co-ed room. this was my first time in a hostel like that. normally we are in just one room...but all of us had our own tiny little bed. it was cool. there was an awesome pool there too! however...both times we went swimming...it was freezing...

the first day, we ate some dinner and then headed into the city. we walked along the saint charles bridge at night and it was quite a site! you can see the huge cathedral and castle all lit up. it was so pretty. then we hit a bar that had really awkward dancing in the basement, weirdo girls dancing on the bar, and a whole bunch of other crazy stuff.

the next day, we all went on a really cool walking tour that our hostel had (it was free!!!). our tour guide justin was awesome. he was a history major who fell in love with prague and has been living there ever since. so that was cool and we learned a ton. we went all throughout the old town and got to see the famou astronomical clock that is soooo beautiful. then we went to a few churches that had awesome stories (like one where a man's arm is on the wall...we went the next day to see it...but it was closed). then we went to the jewish quarter and learned a lot there too.

after that we went back to the clock tower to watch the little show involved every hour. that was pretty cool i thought haha. then we went to a market and walked around. ummmm....then we went and found some other market hahaha. we were all pretty tired after our 3 hour long tour through the city.

that night was AWESOME though. Dan Deacon was in Prague for Sperm Fest. so we all went to that. it was soooo great. a ton of people and a ton of other people playing...it was great. megan, this guy ed, nick, and i all danced like crazy...we were soo tired but it was a blast. we didnt get home until like 4 am. nick said i was falling asleep standing up on the tram ride home...i guess my knees kept locking? i have no clue. i was tired though.

the next day, everyone packed up and had to catch their bus at 12:30. nick, megan, and i stayed so we could have one more day. so nick and i went and sort of re-walked our tour so we could look at some of the stuff we missed. we went to the jewish quarter and had to pay a bunch of stupid money to see the entire area full of museums...even though we only wanted to see one. the one we saw was so moving...ill never forget it. there were thousands of names, bdays, dates, everything of a ton of people that died in the czech b/c of the holocaust. there were 3 or 4 entire rooms that were just bare except for the tiny writing on the walls that went from floor to ceiling. it was nuts. the most moving part was the room full of childrens drawings. a woman (i cant remember her name...but i promise i will find out) stole a bunch of art supplies and things so the children in these camps could draw. towards the end, she shoved them all in a suitcase and hid them. now, some of these drawings are all that is left of these children. about 1 in every 150 children survived...it was so upsetting....i cried a lot 😞

so...after being thoroughly depressed...nick and i walked the bridge again in the daylight and saw a really cool bluegrass band playing. then we went to the castle and the cathedral and messed around up there. it was awesome. the guards there cant move at all and cant react...so tourists were goin nuts and doing all sorts of crazy things. ill upload pictures later hahahaha

then we met up with megan for a bit and had to go catch our bus. we left at about 12:15 am...and let me just say...after a long day of exploring...a bus is the worst place to ever end up. so uncomfortable...but whatever. we made it back and just woke up about an hour ago...

but yes. prague rocked.

it hit me in prague too that i only have 2 more weeks here...i better make them count

me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb