Belvedere Park & Palace


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
March 13th 2021
Published: March 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 12th March - Belvedere Park & Palace - Vienna



Built between 1717 and 1723, the palace started life as the purely ceremonial residence of the military genius, Prince Eugene of Savoy. The Lower Belvedere building was the more functional residence.



The Belvedere Palace is divided into two building units. The Upper and the Lower Belvedere, both were constructed on behalf of Prince Eugene of Savoy in the 18th century. Between the two buildings is a huge garden area. The palace served as the Viennese summer residence for the successful commander Prince Eugene of Savoy. Both, the impressive palace and the beautiful landscaped garden, have been built in the Baroque style.



With its magnificent gardens this former residence is a stunning Baroque landmark and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Upper Belvedere houses the world’s largest collection of Gustav Klimt’s paintings, including the Art Nouveau icons Kiss and Judith, plus masterpieces by Egon Schiele, Oskar Kokoschka, Ferdinand Waldmüller, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet and Vincent Van Gogh.



On May 15, 1955, at 11:00 am the Austrian State Treaty was signed & held up to show the thousands of people
in front of the palace. An historic moment in European history that resonates to this day.



Because of the sloping ground, the entrance façade on the south side of the Upper Belvedere has a semi-basement instead of a ground floor and the building appears to be even longer.



My second visit to Vienna again, it really is a beautiful city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb