Our last days in Vienna!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
September 21st 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vienna FriendsVienna FriendsVienna Friends

Our farewell braai ended in a crazy round of drinking games.
The countdown has begun! In just over a week we will attempt to pack all our belongings in our rucksacks and start the adventure.

The last few weeks have been hectic, trying to get all the admin done, finishing up at work, going to Spanish lessons and of course seeing as much of our friends here in Vienna as possible. It seems that almost every hour is accounted for and our looooong holiday will be well deserved!

Although we are both very excited to get going, leaving Vienna is still going to be very sad. The 3 years we have spent here have been amazing. Vienna is a wonderful city and we have made some fantastic friends, who I hope we will keep in touch with for a very long time. I’m sure there are still many beers to be had together!

We head out of here on Saturday 30th September and plan to keep everyone up-to-date on our adventure via this travel blog. You can also leave messages for us here or contact us via email. We will be attempting to connect to the world whenever we can.

We have the first 4 months more or
Gumpoldskirchen Wine FestivalGumpoldskirchen Wine FestivalGumpoldskirchen Wine Festival

One of our favourite wine fests in Austria. It's become a bit of a tradition with our friends and always ends up being a great party!
less planned. From Vienna we fly to London for 2 days to spend some time with Nick’s folks. We then head to South Africa for 10 days to see my family, organise a few things and attend Jo and Murray’s wedding in the Midlands. Next stops are Perth and Sydney and then we make our way to Brisbane for Sean and Holly’s wedding. We’ll also spend a few nights on Stradbroke Island. Cairns is next up and we’ll travel down the coast Airlie Beach and go diving somewhere along the Great Barrier Reef. After about 5 weeks of surviving the Aussies in Oz, we fly to Christchurch and spend 3 weeks working our way up to Auckland.

And then it’s the flight of all flights from Auckland to Santiago de Chile. Once we get there, we go straight up north to a town called Iquique which is close to the desert to do a 3 week intensive Spanish course. Then back to Santiago to spend Christmas with Stephie and Andreas, good friends from Vienna who have family in Santiago. The two of us leave Santiago around 28th Dec and take a bus down south towards the Lake District, where
Playing croquetPlaying croquetPlaying croquet

Some of our best friends from Vienna attempting to play croquet.
we will being in the New Year. We then meet up with Stephie and Andreas again to go hiking in Patagonia for 6 days.

From here on plans start getting less concrete - general idea is to spend a month or so in Argentina and then get to Rio in time for Carnaval towards the end of Feb.

After that, plans are pretty much non-existant other than that we have a flight from Mexico City back to London in May 2007.

So that’s that! Very exciting and just a little bit scary too!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Work matesWork mates
Work mates

Having our first sturm (early wine) of the season!
Skiing at Flachau!Skiing at Flachau!
Skiing at Flachau!

We love the snow!
Vienna FriendsVienna Friends
Vienna Friends

Most of the gang.
SchweizerhausSchweizerhaus
Schweizerhaus

One of our favourite beer gardens in Vienna.


23rd September 2006

WOW!!!!!
Well, dear cousin and Nick - seems like you will be leaving loads of fun and good friends behind in Vienna. Your plans however sound just amazing!!!! The sketchy bit where you do not have plans towards the end sound like a little trip to big old Texas would fit in just perfectly for "y'all"............???!!! Have a fantastic time. Am looking forward to reading the blog. Ian and I are hugely jealous. Take care of yourselves.
24th September 2006

More Mayhem
Well I cant wait to see you both in Vienna for the leaving do, and then a few weeks later on the other side of the world in my new stomping ground, Sydney!
25th September 2006

Bonne Voyage!
Your adventure is making me green; of course you're going to have a wonderful time. Should you decide to wing your way to China, there's a bed for you in Shanghai. Take care on your travels. Love Julie xxxx
2nd October 2006

Have a good trip
Coops and Kez - see you soon - trip sounds great! What day do you arrive and leave Brisbane?
3rd October 2006

boo!!! and YAY!!!
so sorry to have missed you both. just got back to London and am VERY VERY sad to be here - I want to be back in Turkey! I had an amazing last day doing canyoning. I can't believe I have to go back to work on Wednesday... Very jealous that you two are off adventuring. hope you have a fantastic time and that it's all prefect. call me soon!!!!
11th November 2006

Remembering My Last Days
Hiya, Kez and Nick. Gosh, seeing these photos reminds me of my last few days in Vienna, too. I think it was easier for me to leave before you two. I'm so happy that I was able to be in a short part of your lives.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb