Farewells to our families, a wedding and a few walks


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 11th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Farewell Party 1Farewell Party 1Farewell Party 1

Before the tears!
After a brilliant farewell party with all our friends in Vienna (including the inevitable last pilgrimage to our favourite bar Pointers), we somehow managed to get ourselves onto the plane in spite of all our tears. Thanks to everyone who came to the airport to say goodbye and to Anoek for making sure we got there safely!

We arrived in London and headed straight to Jez and Cala to say a quick hello before going to Nick's folks place for some quality family time, which was wonderful but too short and missing an adventurous sister. It was also good to see Nick's cousins and have a last walk around London before we headed off.

The flight to South Africa was an exercise in keeping each other awake all night, totally not on purpose and we arrived in Joburg at 7am feeling very tired. Kez's folks met us at the airport and we started our first crazy South African day involving lots of shopping and visiting friends and family. On Thursday afternoon we drove down to the Drakensberg and on Friday we went for a lovely little walk to the Doreen Falls near Cathedral Peak. From there we went to
Farewell Party 2Farewell Party 2Farewell Party 2

Still before the tears!
the Natal Midlands for Jo and Murray's wedding, which was absolutely perfect. The girls even had massages, facials and manicures arranged by the wonderful father of the bride (Dad, I hope you took notes). Jo looked stunning, Murray had us all in tears during his speech, the ceremony was lovely and the party afterwards was definitely one to remember (although a few parts are a bit fuzzy)! On Sunday we took our weary bodies back to the drakensberg where we stayed in lovely little place called the Caterpillar and Catfish, which we definitely recommend and our top tip is to turn up with empty stomachs cos the food is delish. Monday we went hiking in the Tugela Gorge, really called Thukela Gorge we found out. We had both been there when we were small so it was great to reminisce along the way and the Amphitheatre is still breath-taking.

Our few days in Joburg have just been madness. The traffic is insane and life is lived at a very fast pace but things happen very slowly. We have had a great time though, seen lots of family and friends and eaten like kings. It was brilliant to see Kez's Gran and Aunty Mae who both look very well and still have such a good sense of humour.

Tomorrow is the big day, our first venture into unknown territory! We fly to Perth in the afternoon and luckily Cassie is going to fetch us from the airport and make sure we aren't too overwhelmed by being in a place with quite so many aussies (although we did survive the Walkabout in London so we should be alright)!

Thanks to everyone who has been in touch via this site and email. We really do appreciate hearing from you and will do our best to keep up our side of communicating.

Lots of love
Kez and Nick


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



13th October 2006

Bussi!
The pics are beautiful! Keep them coming! They make me want to go back to South Africa.
14th October 2006

Pointers tnite?
Hi guys. Great pictures and a great travelblog-website-thingy! Really cool. Was just wondering if you two fancied coming down to Pointers tonight for a pint of cider or two ;) Just hop on a plane, no need to stay late... (you are missed!!)
16th October 2006

Loving the comments
Thanks for all the comments and messages, it's really cool to log in and see familiar names and get our little notes! So keep em coming! So far Perth has been great, we have been very well looked after by Cassie and Matt and it's so easy to just slide into the laid back life here. Today we start doing the more touristy things. Love Kez and Nick Oh and we have added a few more photos from our farewell party night and I wish I could upload the video of us singing around the bears at karlsplatz on the way to pointers. Kathryn, you have an amazing drunken voice!
20th October 2006

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey guys! hope you have a FABULOUS time travelling round. You're SOOOOO doing the right thing!!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!! Still in Durbs - been back 5 months. Drop in when next you're back. cheers Cath
2nd November 2006

yo!
Guys! Sorry I have not bothered to comment on your blog yes! I was just too devastated that you left me. Only now is it sinking in that you are not coming back! I miss you loads, but it seems you are having a ball. So are we! But it is not the same without you! Love, Sunny
11th November 2006

Gorgeous!
You farewell looks like a blast! Plus, that ampitheatre is gorgeous!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb