Back home (in Vienna)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 28th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I just got back to Vienna after a long but very awesome 6 week trek through southern europe. I obviously can't give all the details. Ill just try to do highlights.

Ok, Seb and I started off alone and spent some time in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Cool little town, but not too much to see. Then we moved down to Zagreb, Croatia. This is the capital. But we werent too amazed with it. We then moved on the Split, which is on the Adriatic coast. I believe this was by far Seb's and my favorite place. Everything was really old, with some decent beaches and crystal clear blue water. Shopping wasnt too bad either! So, Wes met up with us here...then we hopped to some islands for a few days, Brac and Hvar. Michael met us on Brac, I believe.

We took an overnight ferry from Split to Italy. We took a train from Ancona, where we arrived to Salerno. We stayed in Salerno for a few days, making day trips mostly to Amalfi Coast. Unfortunately, we were a bid dissapointed with the Amalfi Coast. It was nice, but after being in Split, and the Islands, its hard to beat! So we made our way up to Rome. This is unfortunately when Wes had to leave us. 😞 So Mike, Seb and I saw the sights in Rome, Colloseum and all that. Overpayed for everything and learned to hate the people in Milan. Which is where we went to next. Mike and I stayed only briefly to catch a train to Barcelona. Seb stayed to visit an old friend who is living in Milan.

On the Spain. Mike and I caught the train to Barcelona and I caught the next train to Bilbao. Met up with my Aunt Monica and cousin Rachel, and another friend Hannah. We spent most of the days with Monica's Basque Choir she was with touring some Basque cities, meeting the Pres of the Basque govt. and mostly singing a lot. Choirs are funny people. Then we went to Pamplona for the annual San Ferminas Festival, otherwise known as The Running of the Bulls. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately if you ask my mom, I didnt get to run with the Bulls. Some friends of mine were there and they ran. So I am able to live vicariously through their stories. On American man was even partially paralyzed after being ran over twice by the bulls. Instead, Monica had payed for us to watch the running from a very safe balcony just above the alley where the bulls run. So we really had the best view possible. Thaks Mon!

Mon, Rachel and Hannah left basically the net day to fly home. I left for Barcelona and met up with Seb again. Mike met us the next day in Barcelona. We spent some time at the beach and saw some of the sights, including those of my favorite architect, Antoni Gaudi. Then we caught a train down to Valencia. Spent some more time on the beaches, as there isnt too much to see in Valencia. Mike left after a few days, and Seb and I had about one more night in Valencia then moved on to Nice.

Apparently Mike stopped in Florence on his way back to Vienna before he had to fly home. Seb and I stayed in Nice and took day trips to Monaco and Cannes. Seb showed me around Cannes like a pro as he lived there for a summer a few years ago. So we saw the beach (of course) and where the Film Festival takes place. Not too much in Monaco. Just saw the beach, again, and casino briefly. We had to make our way then to Paris where we spent our last few days. We tried to do most of the touristy sights in Paris, such as Eiffel Tower, Arc d'Triumph, etc. We even adventured into the Loius Viutton store. We spent our last night at the top of the Eiffel Tower and caught trains our seperate ways the next day. I had to take an overnight train back to Vienna, and Seb caught a train to Rotterdam, to meet with his family for the long adventure back to Bergen, Norway.

So now I am back in Vienna, currently staying with some friends and job/apt searching. As of todloay I just found an apartment. It is just near the Rathaus, near the center of the city. Ill move in soon before I come home. Itll be nice to have my own space again, and not have to share a room with my poor friend Flow.

Im just chilling and relaxing and enjoying my summer. Its a bit sad being here. I do have a few friends still here. The ones who pretty much live here permanently. However, my closest friends are all gone. Im trying to enjoy the beautiful weather here as much as possible, doing lots of laying around and reading in the parks. There are some nice festivals going on in the city. Loads of food stands and live music and movie festivals.

Ill come home on the 13. of August. Just in time for a good friends Bachelorette party, and wedding on the 15th. Then Ill spend sometime with the rents and go see some friends back in Iowa. And of course, spending lots of time STUDYING for my LSATS in September. WISH ME LUCK!

Thats all for now. When I have photos Ill put them online.


xoxo
m

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb