Day 13


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 21st 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On the train!On the train!On the train!

We're going to Vienna!
Today was Vienna. After a little confusion at the station, we got on the train at about 10:00. The ride was not as scenic as I would have liked, there was lots of farmland. There were some fun sunflower fields and little villages in the Moravian countryside, so it was fun to see a different side of the Czech Republic.

The ride was about 4 hours long. I mostly slept, talked, and looked at the scenery. We got off the train and were a little confused, but luckily there was a representative from their Public Transportation system who saw us and asked us if we needed help. (Sidenote: everyone in Vienna was so nice. A bunch of people would stop and ask if we needed help if we looked lost, and a guy started talking to us and telling what to do and where to go).

We finally found our hotel and it was much nicer than we expected...and it had hot water! (After a whole week of showering in icy cold water, it was very refreshing!) We went to dinner at a little cafe down the street.

After that, we decided to walk around Vienna a bit.
The Imperial Palace!The Imperial Palace!The Imperial Palace!

Rachel's favorite place!
We decided against taking a guided tour, mainly for money but also because, as it turned out, we found the bust stuff when we were "lost."

We went to Rathaus, or the City Hall, the Opera house, a garden, the Imperial Palace, the museum quarter, Beethoven's house, and a playground. We absolutely loved the city. It was a lot different than Prague, not so many tourists, much cleaner, and lots more space. There were parks everywhere, and grass and trees lined the streets.

When it was starting to get dark, we went back to Rathaus for a film festival they were having that night. As it turned out, the film was a tape of the New Year's Eve concert. The New Year's Eve concert is a pretty big deal, apparently, so it was a lot of fun to watch.

After that, we went back to the hotel, and enjoyed a warm shower (!) and had a good night's sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The playgroundThe playground
The playground

Because you have to play when you're on vacation!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb