Sunday - A Day of Rest


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 15th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

St. Francis of AssisiSt. Francis of AssisiSt. Francis of Assisi

St. Francis of Assisi.
Sunday is known as a day of rest, especially in Europe. We got up early and went to church, St. Francis of Assisi. It was a very nice church building, and it had beautiful domed arches. While it was beautiful it made the priests voice echo which made it a bit hard to listen to.

After church we went to Prater. It is a carnival that was similar to the Stampede, it was not quite the same as being home but it was fun. We went on a few rides, the Hochschaubahn and the Prater Turm.

The Hochschaubahn was a little roller coster set in a village setting. It was almost like being on a model train set. It was very interesting. It wasn't fully automated and they actually had a guy who sat in the back of the roller coster to control the cars.

The Prater Turm was a giant swing set. It is the tallest swing carousel standing at 117 meters high. We got a really nice view of Vienna, it was really nice to be able to get a bird's eye view of the city.

Once we had finished wandering around the carnival we
St. Francis of Assisi 2St. Francis of Assisi 2St. Francis of Assisi 2

The inside, front alter.
went to the planetarium. We were going to watch a show but it turns out that the next show that they had with english subtitles was not for another 2 months. We weren't going to stick around that long!

We went back to the city center but things were starting to close so we headed back to go grocery shopping. The grocery store was closed...again! I thought that the sign I saw said that it was open until 6pm on Sunday but I guess that it said Sa. not So. We ended up getting noodle take away and bubble tea and coming back to the room.

Tomorrow will be a full day since we are going to Schloss Schönbrunn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

PraterPrater
Prater

The Ferris Wheel.
PraterPrater
Prater

Entrance way.
PraterPrater
Prater

Rides!
PraterPrater
Prater

They had a carousel which actually had live horses walking around pulling the sleighs.
PraterPrater
Prater

I thought that was a great play on words. (Hallowe'en)
PraterPrater
Prater

The Prater Turm
PraterPrater
Prater

The Prater Turm, way up in the sky.
PraterPrater
Prater

Hochschaubahn
PraterPrater
Prater

Hochschaubahn


Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb