Day 6. Durnstien, Melk


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 6th 2012
Published: March 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When I woke up, the ship had already stopped and we were in Durnstein in Melk. We were allowed to explore all the villages in Durnstein and it was so different from Australia. The ancient villages of Durnstein were beautiful. The paths were made of cream coloured limestone and the walls of each house was all different shades of white and cream.



We reached Wachau Village at midday and walked through the old, streets of Austria. This part was the best bit of my holiday so far. The houses were so cute and all of them were lined up in pastel coloured patterns all the way to

Benedictine Abbey. The Abbey of Melk was made in the 11th century. It was completely destroyed in 1297, the abbey was rebuilt they finally remodelled it in 1297. The church was a massive part of Durnstein history and had so many rooms I got lost. Each room was filled with different things. My favourite room was the actual chapel itself. It wall covered from top to bottom in metallic, rich looking colours.



We had Lunch at a small local café called 'Rathaus café'. I had a small schnitzel and chips. Unlike Perth, the chips were crispy and weren’t drowning in oil. Half way through our way back to the ship, we were all taken to a huge ferris wheel in placed right in the middle of Durnstein. The scenery was amazing. There were colourful lights everywhere and you could see the little coloured ferries sailing up to the dock. You could see the little islands in the distance, all looking like mini floating lanterns all surrounding Melk.

I was to tired, I decided to miss the organ recital that were going to be performed by monks. For dinner, I had



Today, I learnt 5 new things about Austria:
Currency they use: euros

People over the age of 15 must be able to read and writeLanguages the people can speak:



-German

-Slovene

-Croatian

-Hungarian
<ol style="margin-left: 0.375in; direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; margin-top: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11pt;" type="1">Over 73%!o(MISSING)f the people in Austria are catholicAbout 1/4 of the population of Austria lives in the capital, Vienna.



Im looking forward to the activities tommorow because the crew member just announced that we get to go to the setting of the movie "sound of music"


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb