Vienna...an imperial summer under the sun!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 30th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vienna is a stunning city. The old center is a walker paradise...the city of Sisi and the viennese charms. The best news is that Ma'ri is coming back to join us in Vienna. The bad news, is my little Tiffany cannot handle more than 90 minutes walk in a row. And Vienna is not in a place where you drive. So first night was spent along the Danube, and on our second night we indulged in a piece of history, and paradise staying at the Imperial Hotel, next to the Opera. They must have had some big shot in the hotel as the place was fully of body-guards....but I've got no clue of who it could have been. Vienna seems also a shopper paradise, but the car is full...and our wallets a little to empies...so this will be for next time...hopefully next year!

I wish we could have seen a show of the famous spanish school horse riding, but our concierge explained to me that July was not the right month for it. We walk all around the old town. First starting by St Stephan cathedral, than making our way to the Imperial Palace, also known as the Hofburg Palace. The place is huge, with many different museums in it. We just enjoyed the walk, the gardens are really beautiful. It was nice to take some rest there with the temperature well above the 30c degres. The best must have been the roses in thegardens and the wide variety of other flowers. Our next stop was the Parliement, than the University. We than made our way back to the hotel to allow the kids legs a little rest.

5pm...was already time to go to pick up Ma'ri at the West Train Station...couldn't wait. She had also bring with her our first supply of nice Hungarian Wine...to enjoy while Tiffany and Leslie ended up early in bed. Our next morning, ealry wake up, breakfast...and on the metro to Schonbrunn. I visited the place 10 years ago, Ma'ri visited it 13 years ago. This time, we were four of us on the grand tour, all equipped with our "audio tour" for 40 rooms of the life of Prince Hans-Joseph and his wife Sisi...and few centuries of history. This is one more castle for Leslie who is starting to be a little overwhelmed by so many casltes/palaces in a few days, so many dates, so much history. To keep it simple for him, we use maps, and do not mention the centuries, but instead how many years ago things did happen. I must admit, he doesn't see much differences between 150 years ago, and 250 years ago...but he still loves it, and his journal is a fun experience to read ( and correct the spelling) each day of our new adventures around Europe.

As usual, no pictures from the inside of the castle. My favorite goes for the Grand Ball Room...where we did few steps of valse (should I write wlatz?) with Ma'ri...well...my steps are way too hesitating compare to Ma'ri's ones who could have jumped in a ball gown straight on...she rules the valse!

Later on, we made our way to the gardens. Would have enjoyed the walk to the Gloriette...but too many complains from the "little legs", so we kept it to the garden under a amazing sun.

Ready to get back to the hotel, pack and on the road again. Our next stop, Budapest...with our wonderful private guide. I've got the pics, I need to chose the ones for the blog, and we'll be back very soon for more sun, and for sure more cuddles in the Center of Europe.

Till there, with love from four of us...the summer is going fast...but our bag of souvenirs is not yet full! Hope you enjoy the reading and the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th August 2009

Lovely photos
Beautiful photos of Schonbrunn. I was there last summer and was lucky enough to have equally gorgeous weather

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb