Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 24th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Prague at 8am for another long day on the bus, we arrived in Vienna at around 4:30pm, giving us time to find our hostel then explore the area nearby. We were staying just a short walk from Mariahilferstrasse, the main shopping street in the district, and it was just off this street where we chose one of many restaurants in the area to have dinner.

The next morning we set off early to walk into the city centre. On the way we passed through the Museumsquartier and the Hofburg Imperial Palace (the winter residence for the Habsburg dynasty). Once we reached Albertinaplatz, we hopped on a bus tour showing us the main landmarks of the city, including a short stop at Hundertwasserhaus, a colourful apartment house designed by Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. After the bus tour, we stopped for afternoon tea at Hotel Sacher to try the famous Sachertorte, then spent a good few hours exploring the Haus der Musik, an 'interactive' museum of music.

On Thursday we got a 24-hour transport pass so we could take the train out to Schloss Schönbrunn (the Habsburg's summer residence). The palace and gardens here are incredibly impressive, and well
Mozart statueMozart statueMozart statue

In the Hofburg gardens
worth the visit. After wandering the grounds here until mid-afternoon, we head back into the city to Stephensplatz to see St Stephens Cathedral, then finished the day by relaxing in Stadtpark, the city gardens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

No RoosNo Roos
No Roos

We assume the Austrians got tired of the Americans asking!
OPECOPEC
OPEC

The source of all the world's media complaints for the last couple of years
Hofburg Palace 2Hofburg Palace 2
Hofburg Palace 2

The other side
Neptune FountainNeptune Fountain
Neptune Fountain

At Schönbrunn
GlorietteGloriette
Gloriette

A huge pavilion up on a hill in the Schönbrunn gardens, from which you have a marvellous view of the palace, and the city.
View from GlorietteView from Gloriette
View from Gloriette

At Schönbrunn
KarlskircheKarlskirche
Karlskirche

A church on the south side of Karlsplatz, in the city.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb