Christmas in Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
December 24th 2007
Published: December 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our flight out on Sunday was cancelled thanks to the fog at Heathrow and we spent the night at the lovely Sheraton Skyline, right across from the runway. While annoyed that our trip was about 18 hours behind schedule, the Heathrow hotel had the Pats game on satellite, which was a nice bonus. When we went back to the airport on Monday morning, it was total chaos...thousands of people everywhere, many of them slept there overnight...we were lucky to check in in time and make it through to the gate. Our flight had only minor delays, but thankfully we made it to Munich airport by 11:00 am. After picking up our rental car (Evan had a lot of fun with an Audi on the Autobahn) we got to Innsbruck mid-afternoon on Christmas eve, and spent a quiet night walking around town, renting skis, and getting our bearings.

On Christmas morning we woke up to presents from Santa and a big breakfast at the hotel. We set out for skiing at one of the smaller local spots--this should have been very easy but I am not the best with reading maps on the fly...and with all of the long German street names it was not an easy task...especially when we almost drove into Italy by mistake, without our passports! Oh well, I did my best...(I got more used to the street names as the week went on!)...and since I am writing this from London, we obviously didn't get too lost!

We skied the first day at a place called Schlick 2000, not a huge place, but for our first time out of the year, we didn't need anything bigger. It took a little bit to get our ski legs back, but all in all we had a great time. Christmas night, the hotel put on a big dinner, a four course meal that was surprisingly very good, and we spent the night catching up on the phone with our families.

Wednesday we skied at St. Anton am Arlberg, one of the most well-known spots in the area. The mountain is comprised of about 8 resorts that are all somehow connected, and the skiing seemingly went on for miles. We felt pretty comfortable by the afternoon but the runs were so long and our legs were burning--we were exhausted by the end of the day. At night we went to
Evan Loves These Signs...Evan Loves These Signs...Evan Loves These Signs...

Don't worry mom, we were fine...
the Christmas Market in Innsbruck and sampled some lovely local delights...lots of potato and sausage...and sugared almonds...yum. I've always thought I hated the heavy German food, but we had some sausage that was really good...

Thursday was our last day in Innsbruck and we spent the morning shopping around town. Since we were so close to Italy, there was a lot of Italian food, and we stumbled on this pizza place that might have been the best pizza we've ever eaten...one slice was nearly the size of a whole pizza. After lunch we went to the Swarovski Crystal factory, there were ads and brochures everywhere for this place, so we figured we'd check it out...well...it was very strange... it was more of a sculpture park with sculptures that had nothing to do with crystal, then a museum with modern art exhibits, many of them used crystal in some way...but we thought we were going on a tour to watch them make the crystal...oh well, it wasn't the first time I've blown $10 on something.

We left Innsbruck for Munich Thursday afternoon...I'll write about Munich in a seperate post.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Yummy....Yummy....
Yummy....

Hot wine and a potato pancake at the Christmas Market
Wurst, wurst, and more wurst...Wurst, wurst, and more wurst...
Wurst, wurst, and more wurst...

...who knew it could be so good.
I Couldn't Resist...I Couldn't Resist...
I Couldn't Resist...

No, we did not eat here...
The World's Biggest SliceThe World's Biggest Slice
The World's Biggest Slice

I should have put my hand in the photo to get the scale...oh it was sooooo good.
Evan and the Giant MonkeyEvan and the Giant Monkey
Evan and the Giant Monkey

Told you the Crystal World was weird...what does this have to do with crystal??


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb