South of the Border, with a ukulele


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Styria » Graz
April 8th 2006
Published: April 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

we missed the trainwe missed the trainwe missed the train

but no worries, we have entertainment! I have a repetoir of one song, Amazing Grace, which brings tears to the eyes.
But which border is the question? 😊 Not towards the spring break strongholds of Cancun or Rocky Point, but - Slovenia! Lindsay and I are going to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, hopefully to be followed by some sunshine on the Istrian coast, and then over the Adriatic to Italy for a few days in Venice.
First stop - before leaving Austria - Graz, a beautiful town in the south. The day we left, we had coffee with my roommate, and she had lots of good recommendations of stuff to do and see. We had trouble getting out of Vienna, just barely missed the train we were supposed to take, but it was a-ok, the weather was great so we went and sat in the backyard of the Belvedere Palace, ate sandwiches and played music.
Graz is beautiful, a city with a small-town feel that has somehow mushroomed into one of the bigger cities in Austria. The river Mur cuts through it, and the sights are a lovely mix of tradition and modernity. For example, on the banks of the Mur the huge, slug-like modern art building reflects the traditional architecture in its curvy glass walls, and in the Mur there is a funky manmade island, with a cafe/club where you can sit and watch the river flowing under you. Likewise, we found a Wurstelstand with veggie burgers!
Graz was just a short overnight stop. We bought tickets to Maribor, a town in the rolling hills of eastern Slovenia, and then from there tickets to Ljubljana.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

stolen gummi bearsstolen gummi bears
stolen gummi bears

this machine is not to be trusted


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb