The Hills were alive with the sound of music


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
April 8th 2010
Published: April 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Greetings,

We are now in Vienna after spending a few nights in Salzburg. We left Germany after 2 great weeks full of adventures, stories and un-expectant scenery and beauty.

Salzburg was also incredibly scenic; you can actually see the Alps from every angle. After driving the 2.5 hours, we got in to the campsite at lunchtime and headed straight for the ‘town of music’ on the pushbikes. We walked the town and the surrounding cliffs that had a view to die for, well not really but you get the drift and were mesmerised by the surrounding countryside.

We then went into Mozart’s family home which is now a museum. A tad disappointing, but seeing his first violin is worth the price of admission. Afterwards we headed for the Monk’s brewery which rivals the Newport Arms as the greatest pub. You enter a church that transforms into 3 beer halls that seat 2000 people, with food stalls all around it. It was a tad confusing at first as unlike the norm, you get your own stein (1L or ½ L), then after washing it yourself, you go to the teller to pay, then you take your empty stein to the bar to be filled.

After a few, we then rode home for an early night as we were booked into the ‘Original Sound of Music Tour’ on Tuesday, with the bus picking us up from the campsite at 0900…we couldn’t wait…well Em couldn’t. Unfortunately Jimmy did not load the IPOD with the soundtrack as we would have liked to have got in the mood.

So up early Tuesday in anticipation. The mini bus picked us up which was taking us to the big bus. On arrival, the big bus was adorned with Sound of Music paraphernalia so there was no escape. I cannot do the tour justice with words, it was truly something to behold. We both felt like we were 16, going on 17. Thankfully there was a bar on the bus and some incredible scenery, plus they did not play any music or the film until the return home and by that stage I had had enough beers to take the edge off the pain and I found myself the only one singing.

So in the 4 hour tour, we saw a couple of Doe’s, they would be female deer; it was a beautiful day weatherwise, with many rays of golden sun; most importantly Em had a great time, as for me, well Em had a great time; we went far on the trip, along way into the countryside; I tore my pants but luckily Em carries a needle and thread as she can sow; la, which is a note to follow so; we stopped off for lunch where Em had some tea with some jam and bread, I had a beer (surprise, surprise); and that then brings us back to Doe! Disappointingly though, I still do not know how to solve a problem like Maria…..brilliant!

On the way home we met some English backpackers who were a tad lost at the bus station. After a brief chat it turned out that they were staying at the same camping ground. So after showing them the way we found ourselves having our first guests and staying up till the early hours drinking beer and wine…this is what it is about.

I am reluctant to mention Lola’s performance on the way here but we made it to Vienna so touch wood.

Hope all is well,

With love and song,

Em and Ben



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



8th April 2010

For Ben
"What is it you can't face" - I'm surpried you didn't slip that old chestnut in ther pal.
8th April 2010

"WOW!"
I'm sure Marnie was with you all the way! xx
9th April 2010

Same
Hi guys, Can you imagine how much we enjoyed the same place. Unbelievably beautiful, Worth a trip up Mount Pilalitis. (Not sure if that is how it is spelt). We have similar photo's and the songs were sung in your Dad's best voice all through town after a few drinks. Love your Blog, enjoy the next town. Love Caz
13th April 2010

Love it!!
Love the commentary Ben, oh how jealous I am. I would love to do that tour. I loved looking at the pics. Glad you are having a great time. Look after yourselves. Much love, Nxxxxx

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb