I feel the need the need for speed


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 3.3.2010 day 141
I feel the need the need for speed
Today we drove across the border to Salzburg in Austria it is less than an hour from our resort. It looks much the same as it did when Mozart lived there 250 years ago. We saw lots of kids carrying Violins which was nice to see. We saw Festung Hohensalzburg the fortress the sits above the city. Salzburg is also the home of the sound of music and you can do sound of music tours but we stayed away from any of that.
We then drove Hanger 7 which there was a little box in our Europe on a shoestring box talking about airplanes cars and motorcycles and how if you have some free time you should go. It did not really explain about it being the personal collection of Dietrich Mateschitz the owner of Red Bull. It is free but it houses over 30 aircrafts including some of red bull air race aircrafts. Red ball is the creator and major sponsor of the air race that has it’s name. as well as about 20 cars including a NASCAR car about 16 formula 1 cars that were sponsored by red bull this includes Australian Mark Webers car, 3 motorcycles from Moto GP and the Dakka. A snowboard and jet pac suit, a Douglas DC6 one owned by Tito the former head of Yugoslavia and lots of art work. It also has 4 fighter jets a red bull navy plan. The hanger is actual two hangers on the edge of the Salzburg airport and while we were there a red bull helicopter and airplane from the collection took off. The Hanger is also used for entertain and had a number of restaurants and bars. We had coffee cake and hot chocolate there is one of the best hot chocolate I have had and the chocolate was home made. It is well worth a trip it. I did not want to leave Hanger 7 and think it was one of the must see things in Europe. If you are an adrenalin Junkie like me then it is a must see.
Dietrich Mateschitz who is 65 got his degree in marketing from the Vienna UNI and lives in Salzburg he also owns an island off Fiji. Dietrich Mateschitz came up with the idea of Red bull in 1984 after drinking a locally brewed tonic in Thailand and read bull came on the market in 1987. He also owns an Austrian, US, Brazil and German soccer team. He owns two formula 1 racing teams.



Additional photos below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb