The city of Mozart and The Sound of Music


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 25th 2006
Published: October 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We found a beautiful place to rest for a while. We stayed here for 5 nights to catch our breath and relax before the next leg of the journey.

Salzburg is such a great city and we got to stay in the old part of town so its pedestrians only, a great change from the big busy cities.

The weather was fabulous, for a change, it was like summer when we were expecting it to be freezing. We spent the first day on the Sound of Music Tour and came to the conclusion that Austrians don't even like the movie they just make a lot of money from it! We got to see the many places around here that were used in the film and, as a bonus, we got to see some beautiful sights and countryside and even managed to go on a toboggan ride! Our tour guide was a 'happy' lad that loved to sing, thank god he had the CD handy! The tour ended on a delicious note with a famous crispy apple strudel with custard and icecream!Yum!!

The next day we visited the fortress and then it was a Mozart day. The fortress is the biggest in Europe and took 600 years to build! Our hotel was right below it so we got to pretend each day that we were going home to it! The cable railway up to it went so fast and it was really steep - a bit scary. We also visited Mozarts birthplace and residence and ALL the museums that go with it! Wayne also managed to drag me along to an art gallery!

Finally I got to go on my horse and carriage ride. I had been waiting since we got here and had already picked out which horses I wanted. It was so much fun and the man also told us lots of interesting things along the way.

Salzburg has lots of beautiful places and is a city worth visiting - even the giant pretzels are good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

 Us at Sound of Music house and lake Us at Sound of Music house and lake
Us at Sound of Music house and lake

This is where they fell out of the boat.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb