sound of music and more


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
September 21st 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

to continue from where i left off...

the bus arrived back in salzburg and we had to switch to a different bus. we had a new guide, gary, and a new driver. both of which were very funny! we departed from downtown and first headed toward the home used for parts of the movie. this first home, palace, mansion, whatever you would like to call it was used for the scenes when they showed the back of the house. it is also on a small lake. the lake is where the children fell out of the boat. the road on the far side of the lake is where they hung from the trees...now, i had dreams of this tour being the courtney re enacts the scenes from the sound of music tour. however, that was not the case. the trees are much larger now, i mean the movie was filmed like 45 years ago, what did i expect. and climbing them was not an option. but, i was there and have a photo of it. the house was also used for the scenes when maria was teaching kurt how to dance and where she danced with the captain. the gazebo also used to be here, but its been moved to a public place so that people can visit it. this home is now a private residence and we could only see it from afar. ah well! it was still a site to see! next we were back on the bus and one our way to see the gazebo. again, i had visions of me jumping from bench to bench with my imaginary ralph...this was not the case. the gazebo was beautiful! and locked. still a site to see though. its now set in a huge park where families were spending a leisure sundaz afternoon with having picnics, flying kites, ect. very picturesque (sp)! on a side note, those of you who read my new zealand blog might remember that i bought a beer shirt while there based on their commericals. the shirt simple sazs perfect girl and has three stars underneath it as the logo. ive worn this shirt many places and no one has ever commented on it. im pretty sure they think that i think im perfect...well, i was wearing it today and during this stop a man says, i love your shirt. and i turn and say you must be a kiwi! sure enough he was and hes from dunedin which is where the brewery started. what a small world! anyhow...from here is was on to the home used for the front of the house in the movie. this home is also private so we drove by at a distance. this is also where maria runs by singing the confidence song...again, no running and singing for me. next was a drive by of the abby. the abby was and still is a beneticdine nunnary and they dont allow visitors. so, a photo as we drove by was all we got. and it turns out, this is no where near the mountain that maria sang on in the movie. she would have fun like 25 km to get to the abby. whoa, maria must have been a marathoner! the next stop was over the mountains...literally. to see all of the sites from the movie, we had to travel out into the countryside. this is when they started plazing the songs from the movie. now, i did restrain myself and i did not go running up and down the aisle...although i wanted to. i quietlz sang the songs in mz seat. the scenarz around salzburg is quite beautiful. there are high mountain peaks and emeral green rolling hills. we made a stop at a lake along the way that had nothing to do with the movie but it was gorgous! then we continued on thru the curving roads to thru mountain towns and passed the corporate headquarters for red bull. that place was unbelievable. i wanted to stop there and ask the ceo whz our flight idea was not accepted for the tampa show last zear...but thats for another time.

we landed in the town of mosser - that might be spelled wrong, i dont have mz book with me. this is where they filmed the wedding scenes. the dom in salzburg was used for the outside shots and this church was used for the inside. it just went thru a year of renovations and looked amaying! all the paintings and frescos have been restored and the organ brings a tear to your eye. they just dont built things now the way they used to. too much metal and glass for my liking. i took some photos...i may have walked a bit down the side aisle singing to myself...oh you would have too! then i departed to explore the town a bit. its a quaint little place that has summer or holiday homes for those that live in salzburg. it sits on cresent lake and is beautiful. its filled with eateries and little shops. i picked up a few gifts and then went for what is now the best apple struddle ive ever had. i savored ever bite! then it was back on the bus and onto the autobahn! not having a car, i did not think i would get to drive on the famous road. well, turns out it was not that exciting. the autobahn in austria has speed limits and frankly, we were on a bus, how fast could we really go. i did get to witness a road side pee-er....that was really funny! some things are the same in every country! we pulled back into salzburg, still singing the music and we down with the tour. they dropped us back off infront of the mirball gardens which is where several of the film shots were. i took a couple of more photos and finally got to re-enact one of the poses. it was on the steps between the two unicorns when they are singing do-ra-me. i was triumphant!!!

and for those of you that didnt know, im a dork, yes.

after a long day of touring about, i decided to head back towards the hostel and have some dinner. of course this included beer. the austrians make great beer! then it was to bed.

on monday morning i checked out and headed to the train station for innsbruck. ill start a new blog on that city.

thank you for keeping me posted on football. keep the info coming. internet is expensive here.

go noles! love, cj

Advertisement



22nd September 2009

Singing in your head
Glad you liked the tour...it sounds exactly like the one I went on about 5 years ago. Enjoy the ambiance! Now I'm craving apple streudel! Miss you!
22nd September 2009

It's all about the U....or not!
Yes the non-alumni Canes have been unbearable here!!!! Not only am I married to the Diplomat of the Gator Nation (my fault, I know) but now I live in the Band-Wagon craziness. All I can hope for is that Va Tech beats UM and that FSU beats the crap out of Ga Tech and Va Tech. I found myself singing "you are 16 going on 17....." right along with you!!! The trip sounds great. Glad you are having a blast!!! Keep us posted! Love ya, Rach

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb