hello innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

my arrival in innsbruck was interesting...but let me back up...

my train trip was great! i met a couple from chicago and ended up sitting with them on the train. turns out the austrian trains are a bit different than the german trains and i originally sat down in a reserved seat. three older people were yelling at me in some language shoving their tickets in my face...um, sorry, ill move. i wondered the train for a while and then found the chicago couple. they had an empty seat so i took it. one train ride to go...i hope i actuallz know whats going on this time. the landscape changed dramatically as we passed from salzburg to innsbruck. the foothills turned into to mountains and the scenery turned into something youd see in montana. it was great! soaring high mountains with green green green valleys that became narrower and narrower. we were also heading up in elevation. my ears kept popping. about two hours after i left salzbug, we pulled into innsbruck. to sum up salzburg, it was extremely clean, classical, sophisticated, elegant, friendly...i was expecting to find more of the same in innsbruck. the first word that came to mind standing outside of the train station was punk. and not punk in a bad way, but in a breaking the rules way. the architecture is a collision of old and new. buildings dating to the 15th century are next to a modern glass structure. you also have the influence of the outdoors here so people in general a more outdoorsey and on the edge with fashion and attitudes. its a great mix! and to be in such a small country and see this extreme is cool!

i walked about 15 mins to old town where my hostel is. this could be my favorite hostel of all time. the building dates back to the 18th century. i have a key to the front door, there is no reception area. its like im staying in someones flat. i go up to the second floor and its an apt basically. im in the six bed dorm room that used to be the living room or great room. they still have the decorative moldings on the ceiling intact. this place is fantastic! the bathroom is very interesting with a 34 wall dividing the one toilet and one shower and sink for the floor. there are a total of ten beds. the shower is just a tub with a now extended hand held nosal. i might not shower here. it was hard to just get in and wash my hands. each bed has a comforter, pillow, sheets, towel, shower gel and a piece of candy. for those of you that have never stayed in a hostel, this place is for high rollers! and, i get breakfast at the cafe next door included! (i had it this morning, it was great! - jen, nutella is a little slice of heaven!).

i headed out to the tourist info office because i had some questions. there was alot i wanted to tackle while im here and i knew i needed some help. i ended up buying the city card because it gets me on public buses and into all of the places i want to see. and im saving a ton! after i sorted thru my plan, i headed into old town to walk around. the is a pedestrian only area and the architecture is amazing! all old buildings dating back into the 15th´-19th centuries. the one main building has a gold roof. whether or not its real gold, im not sure, i need to find out. there were some great little shops in here and i got another gift bought. john, you more than likely wont like it, but seriously, its funny! i cant wait to show chad! i enjoyed just walking in the streets and seeing all of the history this city had to offer. as i wondered around, i saw a crew of men taking down bleachers. i almost wanted to go talk to them. they are my people...festival people. turns out last weekend was a huge city festival and parade. i missed it, but oh well.

after walking i headed back to the hostel to change. i had a very special evening planned...i was going to dinner and a show. ok, ok, laugh all you want, but ive already clarified my dorkiness. i took the city bus out to the suburbs for a night of tyrolian entertainment. this area of the country is known as tyrol and has a long history and heritage. i had a classic austrian meal which was herb cream soup, salad, potatoes, weiner schnitzel and apple struddle. the food was only ok, but the show...oh my the show was worth every euro! i was sat in the theather next to two older women. after a few minutes, i figured out they were speaking french. now, its been a long time, but at least i know some of the words. i say hello, give my name and then the one woman turns away and the other woman is talking a mile a minute. ok, so this is not going to be a fun french conversation. we didnt speak again other than for me to say good bye. i also met a couple from south africa - paarl actually - which is near cape town. i spoke to them for quite some time. they were very nice. even gave me their address so that we can drink wine together the next time i venture to the area....love it! the performers were dressed in traditional costumes - dresses for the ladies with the aprons and girdle like thing and the men were in the liderhosen (sp?). there was a band with a harp and accordian. they sang traditional yodaling songs and the womens voices were unbelievable! all those pop singers making millions that cant sing and these ladies where singing like nothing id ever heard! incredible!!! the men did several traditional dances. the whole thing was a great cultural experience. they invited the audience, which had about 300 people in it, to join in and yell and scream and whatnot. one lady in the front row seemed to think she was at a tom jones concert. i swear to god...i thought she was going to throw her bra on stage. even the performers looked scared. and where was she from...the us! of course...and we wonder... anyhow, the show continued on and it truly was one of the best cultural things ive ever done. at the end of the show, they performed a national song from each country represented in the room. this truly was amazing. these performers can sing songs from every country and they invite the audience to join in. dinner theather or not, this was a great show! now, its 10:30 at night and i did not want to take the bus back to the hostel. i was told they arranged transportation back into town. as it turns out all the taxis were full. so, there i was with three canadian men in the car with the cello player from the band. he dropped the canadians off first and then me. front door service! i love this country!

i went into the hostel and right to bed...well after a bit more reading in my book...dude, john, youre right, this dan brown book is fantastic! i cant put it down!!!

a few misc side notes...

so youre supposed to tip 10% and or round up here. well, they bring the bill to your table and you pay while they stand there and wait. now, ive never done math quickly and now i have to do it with someone standing over me...im pretty sure im way over tipping...

john, can you please talk to ford...austrians and probably all of europe has a two door, hard top convertible focus. im thinking its the only hard top convertible i could ever afford and id like to have it. can you begin talks to bring it to the us. thanks.

lauren, im heading to munich next for oktoberfest. will not be making it to scotland on this trip. but thanks for the heads up on your buddy!!!

jen, yes, it does all look like heidi! and the chocolate is fantastic. i am hoping to bring some home, but anyone expecting me to carry choocolate and not eat it within minutes is like asking the pope not to pray.

love, cj

Advertisement



22nd September 2009

Gold
Yes, If I remember correctly, that old building with the gold roof is real gold. Sounds like you are having a great time in Austria, my favorite country in Europe. Really enjoying your blogs. Love you, honey.
22nd September 2009

Hey Court!
I've been enjoying reading your blogs. It's also made me realize how much I've missed you. We must make a play date after your return (after you've reoriented yourself). Have fun in Munich!
22nd September 2009

wow!
Oh man Court sounds like you're having a fantastic time!! I think its so great you are getting to see all of this and experience so much! I can't believe you got to stand in the church that was in Sound of Music!!!!! Dude when I read that my jaw dropped!! I bet it was just beautiful! Are there like cobble streets every where?? Do all the churches have really tall steeples? I would love to take a trip with you like this!!! Dude the game was amazing last Saturday! We were catching the ball, advancing down the field like there was no tomorrow, and Ponder was jumping over linemen. Oh it was great! They had so much drive to win the game it was insane! I look forward to your blogs every day and I can't wait to read about your adventures tomorrow. I really think you could write a book, man seriously! I love you and eat a piece of chocolate for me! I bet the chocolate over there is AMAZING! love you Elizabeth
28th September 2009

So Jealous
Hey CJ!!! This is amazing.. I wish I could be there with you guys.. Enjoy and bring pictures!!!
3rd October 2009

finally catching up on your blog, saw your reading dan browns new book, isn't it awesome! I'm about half way through.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb