With the von Trapps


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
December 28th 2007
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We returned to Munich from Malta and then made the three-hour journey from Munich to Salzburg as part of our journey back to Prague. On this trip it seemed to me that we began to rely a bit too much on the accuracy of the GPS system in our car. On the way to Salzburg we follow our GPS onto a road aptly named "unnamed road" for about a half an hour while making our way to Salzburg. In doing this we were afforded a chance to see some of the scenic Austrian countryside as well as more than a handful of active Austrians hiking around the forests - trekking poles and all.

15 minutes after checking into our hotel we caught the electric bus for the 7 minute-or-so ride into the city center. As you would maybe expect in Austria the bus was running exactly on schedule. When we arrived in the city center the sun was beginning to set for the evening so we really didn't have too long to look around. We stopped by a few shops, walked through the Christmas market and made our way out to dinner before heading home for the night.

The next day I did my best Clark Griswald impression by buying a pretty sweet Austrian hat which though stylish offered very little protection from the elements. I got the feeling my Austrian hat didn't really help me to appear any more Austrian but I did actually see a few old timers wearing similar ones. I guess it probably just made me look odd.

In Salzburg we saw a few churches, took a walking tour around the city, recognized a few buildings and such from The Sound of Music, took a funicular to the fortress atop the hill overlooking Salzburg, and saw the outside of Mozart's home. After a day or two it seemed we had seen much of what Salzburg had to offer and we spent the rest of our time in Salzburg walking around the Christmas markets and drinking hot wine before moving on a day or two later to Cesky Krumlov.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb