Albania round trip


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania
July 20th 2006
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Albania


After a pleasant flight from Koln to Tirana by Germanwings we arrived in the capital of Albania; our one week holiday.
During the flight we got in contact with Florian and his friends. This guy gave us the great tips of Tirana and when we took the taxi into down town, we exchanged telephone number to arrange something for the next night.

Our room was ok, the location was perfect, just in the middle of the area called The Block, The former communist area.

Day 2 we walked through the main streets of the block and were surprised by the many small but modern lounge places/ bars where you could have a drink and all kinds of croissants

After visiting the highlights of the city as Skenderbeg square, the clock tower, Et’hem Bey Mosque and National museum we got a public bus to Krulja.

After 1, 5hour drive we arrive in Krulja. Our expectations were due to the things we read about it higher that when we actually saw is. The view was nice but the castle itself was not that great.

After a few hours we were back in Tirana, looking were the bus station is to catch the morning bus to Berat.



In the evening Florian and Marta brought us to the Vodafone tower were you have a great view over the capital with all those different painted building. We ended up in club with the terras on the roof of the building.. perfect music.

Day 3
The morning bus was in good condition and within 3 hours we were in Berat.

Berat was a nice small town with small streets and famous for its city of thousand windows.
Instead of our first plan to spend the night we took the bus to Fier, where we had luck to get a very fast small bus to Saranda.

Looking for some bed & breakfast, an old man who did not speak English and we not Albania had a double room for rent for 15 euro. After checking in we walked over the boulevard of this town on the Gulf of Saranda. You saw Corfu at the horizon.

The food was great in Sarande.

Day 4
We start the day with a visit of the ancient ruins of Butrint, 18 km south of Saranda. We found the ruins
Tirana - Night liveTirana - Night liveTirana - Night live

Florian, Mira and friends
not that spectacular only the mosaics were nice to see.
From the ruins there are not bus stops so we walk a few kilometers back to the first town to catch a bus to Sarande. In the evening we went to an open air cinema to watch a movie (English spoken, Albanian subtitles)

Day 5
Fortunaly the grand child of our host speaks English so we got in time our bus to THE beach spot of Albania Dhermi. After a 4 hours we found a double room (15 euro) just a few minutes walking to the beach. The afternoon we just spend on the beach, relaxing and enjoying the clear water and the sun.

Day 6
After some sms with Albi, a friend of Florian we met at the first night in Tirana, we decided to take a visit to his place just 12 km south of Dhermi. This was unfortunaly not that easy, due to 2 busses a day we started walking…. After a few kilometers we were lucky to get a lift how drove us to sanga…
With Albi and two of his friend we spend the afternoon in a very small bay for our self’s. Again a perfect spot !!

Day 7
Our last day in Dhermi. Just read and swim a little when in the afternoon we met Florian, Marta and Florians cousin. The evening we spend at club Havana, the only bar/ beach club in Dhermi but with great music and atmosphere.

Day8
Our last day in Albania.
With public bus it took us 5 hours to arrive in Durres. The afternoon we spend on the beach but the water was due to the sand beach not that nice as in Dhermi. The evening we walk over the boulevard of Durres which was crowed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



13th March 2007

It was great ...
Hey guys,you have done a nice job with your blog ...for sure you have visited a lot of beautifull countries after and before albania...but Albania is nice too ;) ...it was really nice knowing you and meeting you again in amsterdam ! best regards to femke and you from me and marta ,i am in seville for some days ! and to the people that visit this blog...this is my email address florion_hackaj@yahoo.de if you would like to come and visit my beautifull country, just contact me for some good tipps ! byeee

Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 33; qc: 152; dbt: 0.1792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb