The Blue Eye: cave diving in Albania


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania » South
July 8th 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is an amazing opportunity I have to cave dive in albania. There is an interconnected cave system about 45 minutes outside of saranda with 9 different springs (that have been recorded). Very very few divers venture into these caves due to the dangers and risks associated with them. I was fortunate enough to dive with archeologist Peter Campbell and ecologist Derek smith, into this insanely high flow cave. My first time attempting to enter the cave was unsuccessful. The force of the flow literally blew my body and gear (with extra weights) out of the cave opening. I regrouped at the surface and tried again, this time reading the cave a little better. I made it through the opening and down to the ledge at 65ft where Peter and Derek were doing their survey. It is said that the Blue Eye was used for religious sacrifices. The people would sacrifice one virgin girl at the beginning of each year to keep the dragon of the underworld happy. This dragon was the keeper of the water and if it did not receive the annual sacrifice, the people may not have fresh water.

The second dive we did was better, but still very difficult to enter the cave. It was also extra cold this time with a water temperature of 50 degrees. We were only wearing 7mm wetsuits and our bodies could not adjust to the cold. Freezing!

Once we exited the cave, a large group of tourists and local Albanians gathered around the spring to photograph and see us come out of the blue eye. I think they were amazed that we made it in there!

After 2 very exhausting dives we had an amazing lunch at the blue eye restaurant. Very fresh food and seafood was served to our group. It was my first time ordering lamb in the Mediterranean and it was just as delicious as I had imagined. A small squeeze of lemon, and my lunch was divine.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb