Day 5 & 6: Amphoras, Echinoderms and Shipwrecks


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania » South » Sarandë
July 6th 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What an incredible anomaly of diving! I am in shock that there are still ancient amphoras and pottery just steps from the beach here in Sarande. So many of the amphoras are in excellent condition too! I've really enjoyed learning about the history of the Balkan region, and now it's nice to "know" what to look for underwater.

The other interesting things to see are the echinoderms. There are loads of a cucumbers and starfish all along the reefs. We dove off radar cove whichjust about 20 minutes south of sarande and saw lots of echinoderms as well as pieces of pottery scattered alonbeach shallow reef.

We did our second dive on the Probitas:

Inside the Bay of Saranda there lies an Italian cargoship. It was sunk during the II World War by German Bombers on their way back from an attack on the Balkans. Traces of the bombs can still be seen on the ships sides! The vessel lies on its port side on the sandy bed at a maximum depth of 18m just 300m away from the shore. At the shallowest point the ship is just 3m form the surface and is marked with a bouy. The ship is roughly 115m long. It is marked above water by a Cardinal bouy signalling danger. Visibility underwater is good about 20m.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th July 2012

Re: cave dive
So your dive was dangerous after all!! I am glad I heard about it after the fact. Thank you.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb