Ljublana, Petrovac, Scit-Rama, Sarajevo, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Tivat, Podgorica, Barbullush, Tirana and Gjirokaster.


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania » South » Gjirokaster
April 21st 2014
Published: May 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Dornberk Gjirokaster


After leaving a fantastic stay in Dornberk, we went to the cave in Postonja, Further on to Ljubljana where we had a nice visit to the old town (Starigrad), we finally learned what it means. then we set off for Bosnia-Herzegovinia. We entered the country from the north west and drove throughout countryside without to many things to see We stopped at a petrol station with ccv surveillance and slept. Next day we arrived in Scit Rama. at a private house and restaurant in the middle of a lake. Fantastic food nice people and a breathtaking view. Next stop was Sarajevo. A city that was hard hit during the war. There were still a lot of marks on the buildings. Windows had been replaced, and just enough for the houses to be habitable. There is still a long way to the town is restored. The old part of the city was charming and we had a nice evening there. Mostar was our next stop. not very much to see apart from the bridge. We stayed at a camper park just outside Mostar, had a meal brought to us from the local restaurant.

Our next goal was Dubrovnik, at a parking close to center, However the parking was closed and its not always funny to drive a 9 meter car in the small streets of a town. Next day we entered Montenegro, and drove around Kotorfjord, the southernmost fjord in Europe. Its very similar to what we are used to from western Norway.

Finally we arrived Tivat and Porto Montenegro, where we will enjoy a week with our son coming from Norway. We have not seen him since christmas in Marrakech so we are both very exited.

We had a great reuinion with our son and enjoyed the hospitality in Montenegro, but finally we had to leave and the road continued through Montenegro to Budva and Podgorica, and further into Albania. We entered Albania at the border of Hani Hotit. We were extremely curious on this country, and after crossing the border we found in the beginning quite ok roads. Our first stop was at a farm/restaurant in Barbullush. http://www.camping-albania.eu/restaurant?lang=en It was run by an dutch family who worked with aid to the local community. We had an nice meal and served by the waiters in national costumes. Then we drove to Tirana the capital. The only recommended parking was at Sheraton hotel in Tirana, just in the center of the city. http://www.sheratontiranahotel.com The roads appeared a lot worse, and Tirana was not much to see. However taking in the history of the population was quite tought. Living for 50 years in a closed communistic dictatur must have created a very strong people. Our taxi driver recommende a family restaurant and we had a pleasant meal and conversation with one of the sons. He was approx 40 years old an had experienced half of his life in the communism dictatur and the free life afterwards.

Albania have a long way to go.

Norwegian Statkraft are involved in building hydropower for the Albanians. http://www.statkraft.com/about-statkraft/Projects/albania/devoll/

Leaving Tirana took us to River hotel in Perpet. http://www.campercontact.com/campersite/detail/id/19680. A quiet place by the river in a valley with a lot common with Norwegian nature.

While driving through a small village we had an unpleasant observation at the side of the road. At the moment we passed a man lifted his gun and shoot a dog lying by the side of the road. Just one shoot at the moment we passed. The next day we took a diversion from our plan and drove directly to Greece.

i am glad we have left our fear behind us. If not we had never seen and have our experiences. It is still a fantastic way of exploring Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Crit RamaCrit Rama
Crit Rama

Resting in the sun


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb