Big Corn Island


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
February 26th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

We arrived at 9:30pm after 11 hours on the Captain D boat. Due to the late time the crew said we could sleep on the boat. We stayed in our bunks and awoke with the sunrise and the crew working. We got up early to find a place to stay.



Where We Stayed

Hospedaje La Rotonda - C$240 room with shared bathroom with the family. Cheap but we never really felt comfortable as you disturbed the family every time you went in and out of your room and there was no where to sit apart from in your room. In the village at Brig Bay towards the ATM.

Beachview Hotel - $15 room with bathroom. Large triple room with balcony beach and sea views. Right on the beach at North End.



What We Did

Walked around the island to see the lovely beaches of Long Bay and Picnic Bay. Walked up Quinn Hill to the lookout and Soul of the World sculpture. Walked up the path opposite Casa Canada to a look out on Mount Pleasant. Go behind the school and there is an old radio tower you can climb.

Went on a snorkelling trip with the dive shop at North End. $30 for 3 spots including the Spanish Galleon, another wreck and the reef. Pariso resort also run a snorkelling trip for $25 but you need a minimum of 6 people.

Enjoyed the sun, sea and sand.



Where We Ate

Most places to eat are in the village or hotels.

Men sell really juicy oranges for C$3 each on the street and most shops sell coconut bread.



Where We Went Next

We caught the 10am boat to Little Corn Island. When you enter the port there is a building on the right with benches outside. The ticket office opened there at 9am. It cost $6 and took about half an hour. There is also a boat at 4:30pm. The ticket office doesn´t open for that boat so just buy tickets once on board. The bags are stored in a hatch under the boat so they won´t get wet however near the back of the boat there were some splashes so your hand luggage may get a bit damp.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb