Down in Mexico


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 9th 2012
Published: January 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A change in country meant a change in roads, which travel sickness prone Emily more than welcomed. Her biggest issue with Guatemala having been "why do they bloody love speed bumps in this country?!". This was actually a mystery as it would have taken serious skills to manouver around pot holes and traffic with any kind of speed involved. It did teach us one thing, the reason why everyone crams into the front of the bus; despite lots of space in the back.

So first stop was San Cristobal de las Casas. The best thing was certainly not the free breakfast of tubby custardesque yogurt, butter mistaken for cream, very sugary bread and some stale cornflakes. It didn't even fill the hole.

A contender however, could be the Museum of Mayan Medicine, where you leave having learnt the importance of the chicken, the egg, the coca-cola and the machete in relation to childbirth. Dont eat avocados if you have a boy, and when burying the placenta in your living room make sure its facing the correct way.

In the Mayan church of Chamula thousands of candles and fresh flowers adorned the walls. There are no vicars or congregation
crocodilecrocodilecrocodile

lazing
and your welcome to turn up whenever, with your chicken, eggs and coke. Next time you feel ill try rubbing an unbroken egg on your face and let us know how it goes.

It wasn´t all Mayan teaching in San Cristobal... We also caught a glimpse of some wild crocodiles for the first time at the beautiful Sumidero Canyon whilst boating. A very pleaant day trip indeed!

To our dismay, we discovered after dark San Cristobal is even colder than previous suffereings (mainly Emilys) in the Guatemalan highlands. Consequently, our hardly spacious rucksacks are laden with heavy woolen garments.

In the excitement of being in a new country with such an interesting cuisine, we found ourselves deviating from our usual pasta and sauce dish. Ended up concocting a chilli in tribute to our new digs. Cooked a little too much, got fed up with chilli & tortillas quite quickly. The craving for hummus was intense...

x


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

mayan birthingmayan birthing
mayan birthing

bit different to british methods
chamula churchchamula church
chamula church

stolen from google as no photos allowed. possibly the best place ever.


28th January 2012

Mexico
Wonder if I can get away with tub of humus in my baggage! You certainly do experience all sorts xxx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb