Day 12: Panama Canal


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is a event that probably appears on many "bucket" lists, and we were excited to be going here. The day started about 8:00 am as we approached the entrance to the Panama Canal, first passing under what is known as the Bridge of the Americas. A little further along we reached the Miraflores Lock and got our first taste of how things work in the canal. We were guided by two tugs as we approached the first lock, where we were then met by several rowboats that brought out lines and attached them to the ship. The other end of the lines were attached to small railway engines known as mules (yes, they really did use mules back in the early 1900s). It was the mules (one on each side at bow and stern) that actually powered us through the locks. After we passed the first gates, they were closed and our section filled with water. When we reached the same level as the next section, the gates ahead of us opened and we proceeded to the next section. A little further on, we passed though the Pedro Miguel Locks. This lock brought us up level with a channel called the Culebra cut, which took us to Gatun Lake, which is the source of the water used to flood the locks. After travelling across Gatun Lake, we exited the Panama Canal via the Gatun Locks, which took us out to the Caribbean Sea. We then attended a lecture explaining the history of this area, including the great struggle Panama had to escape from the U.S. control of the Panama Canal and surrounding area (10 miles either side). The States finally agreed to have both the Panamanian and U.S. flags in the area. Then, under President Carter, Panama regained sovereignty over their country. The Bridge of the Americas was very significant for the Panamanians because they could once again cross from one side of their country over to the other!

So, we woke up on the Pacific, and we're going to sleep on the Caribbean - a very interesting day! And, it was Mother's Day, so aside from messages from my daughters, Bob took me out for Mother's Day Brunch (I was given a lovely long stemmed red rose as we entered), then, he also took me out for a nice dinner in a lovely dining room, and finally, he took me to a lovely concert where two singers with award winning voices sang songs from operettas and musicals. He really went all out to treat me well! (Maybe I'll do the same for him on his birthday...) Tomorrow we're off to explore Panama City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb