The sun rises on formal night


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A fiery, red ball rises above the horizon as Alan and I enjoy coffee and croissants on the balcony. The pinkish glow from the sunrise shines a path across the water while Mariner glides smoothly on a quiet sea. What a peaceful way to start the day.

Later, Alan accompanies Kathryn to Compass Rose for breakfast. We are taking bodyguard duty in shifts so I try out “Lower Body Toning” and “Yoga Flow” in the gym. I join several other women trying “Warrior Stance” and “Sun Salutation” for the first time. Soon, my muscles remind me that this is a new experience for them.

Kathryn returns to her cabin for a morning nap. She decides to make a lunch from the fruit bowl in her cabin. Alan and I try out the fish barbecue on the pool deck. A salad plus grilled halibut, mahi-mahi, salmon or red snapper, makes a delicious and healthy meal. Well, it was healthy until we added the hot fudge sundaes.

I take the afternoon bodyguard shift and attend an art lecture with Kathryn. We learn about two contemporary artists, LeKempf and Tarkay. The art director, John, hands us a glass of champagne as we enter the room. Now, this is the way to become cultured!

Soon, it’s time to return to our cabins and begin preparations for formal night. Capt. Guillou is hosting a reception in the fifth deck atrium before dinner. Alan goes ahead of us to make sure there is a place for Kathryn to sit.

When Kathryn and I step off the elevator on Deck Five, the Mariner Five Combo is playing and a glittering crowd has gathered. I guide Kathryn to her chair and we enjoy the champagne that Alan has waiting for us. We have a prime seat for people watching.

Before the Capt. speaks, we leave for Compass Rose so that Kathryn won’t be crushed in the crowd of people who will rush to dinner. Lobster and Beef Wellington are on the menu and we combine them into a surf and turf dinner.

Tonight’s entertainment is “Beyond Imagination” performed by the ship’s production cast, The Peter Grey Terhune Singers and Dancers. The show begins as the cast dances down the aisles wearing flowing costumes bathed in dramatic lighting. The blend of classical music with a contemporary flavor ends in a rousing number from “Lord of the Dance.” This cast has been dancing and singing together for the last four months; and, after tonight, they are on vacation. Perhaps this explains the energy and extra enthusiasm that seems to fill the air.

After the show, we walk Kathryn back to her cabin. Then, Alan and I go in search of the advertised “Karaoke and Disco” night. Unfortunately, the crowd in Stars Lounge consists of about three other couples, not enough for a fun night of dancing and singing. We check out the view from Deck Twelve, and then go to bed. Bodyguard duty is hard work.


Advertisement



8th April 2006

What a great picture of the 3 of you!
8th April 2006

I really enjoy reading about your travels. You are a wonderful writer. Allison and Brian helped me log on this weekend when they came to visit.
8th April 2006

Thanks, Sis and Vicki. Appreciate the comments!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb