9. Beauty missing - (the capital cities of) Costa Rica, Nicaragua and El Salvador


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
December 1st 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Air gun in sports shopAir gun in sports shopAir gun in sports shop

...aiming for Jayne...
Uninspiring. If asked how to describe Central America in one word, this is what Gus would say.

He knew it was his own fault though.

It was uninspiring because he had only visited particlarly garden-variety cities, and hadn´t ventured into the country regions, jungles or forests.

Central America, so far, felt like a fried-chicken, fried-burger, fried-taco, fried-milkshake heaven, with broken pathways that sometimes led to skyscrapers of a typical business district. The tooting traffic blackened the air, and the caramel skinned people swaggered with what seemed like limited direction, as if they had nowhere to go, although, there were plenty of Burger Kings and Wendys and Mister Donuts to choose from, along with an unforgivable amount of neon signage to follow.

He knew it was his own fault though.

Yes! I feel like a burger!
Yes! I feel like the upsized combo!
Yes! I know I can´t go wrong with the $4.99 deal!

Gus was over it. He knew he was in Central America, but felt like the Central had been removed. This is what he had imagined the Good Ol´ U S of A to be like. Kind of gluggy, and filling, and too
much. He even moved tables if he could hear an Americans voice, and this tactic quickly became old as the accent could be heard from a mile away. Loudly. In high definition stereo. In Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound.

Uninspiring.

He had loved travelling.

He also knew this episode was his own fault.








(the capital cities of) Costa Rica, Nicaragua, (bus trip through Honduras), and El Salvador




Hi everybody!!Okay, so we passed through the countries of Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador very quickly, and didn´t experience the surrounding areas in any real depth at all...but we were on track to make it to Guatemala for a night and from there fly to Cuba for a week.

Quick points:

San Jose, Costa Rica - a tall African-American man with a strong American accent "befriending" me on the street, then saying "man, we have got weed, coke and morphine, the best stuff around," then walking off and yelling to me that I´ll be the odd one out after I told him to piss off.
- Jayne winning, then losing, US$400 at the Casino.

Granada, Nicaragua - this place was very comfortable and very touristy. We did a boat tour of the surrounding islands, some of which were owned by the Nicaraguan beer tycoons and had mansions built on them. Some islands were for sale, from between $50,000 to $1.5 Mil. Could you imagine owning an island??! God think of the mowing!!

Honduras - quick pass through on bus trip.

San Salvador, El Salvador - MASSIVE American-ised malls called "Metrocentros"...every shop imaginable.

I´m not saying Central America sucks, because not only is every travellers experience different, but we didn´t travel as normal. We didn't really see all that much natural beauty. There are a million spectacular natural locations and sights through Central America, but we hit the main cities quickly, as a point from one bus stop to the next, so we could hop our cheap Cuban flights from Guatemala.

Excuse making perhaps, but Jayne and I were pumped for Cuba!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Friendly monkey...Friendly monkey...
Friendly monkey...

...just wanting a free apple...Granada islands
Mansion, GranadaMansion, Granada
Mansion, Granada

...it's actually a mansiony-looking-green area isn't it?!
Nice plazaNice plaza
Nice plaza

...and just to add to the fun, I have no idea where it is, due to Jaynes random photo taking ability...


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb