Jamaica


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
February 2nd 2023
Published: February 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 29 January

Pat had spent the day packing and sorting things out in the house, for our imminent departure tomorrow morning. We had a meal deal from M&S for our lunch.

We needed some bits and pieces, so headed out for a quick visit to Morrisons supermarket before it closed at 4 pm.

Just as we were passing through the check out at 3.30 pm my phone rang. It was TUI, after a security check to confirm who I was, she told me that the cruise was cancelled. That got my attention. There was an issue with Food & beverage on board. After, I confirmed what she had told me, she asked if we wanted a full refund or to try and book another holiday.

Pat was obviously with me and we said to give us a refund.

So, we were completely shell shocked. We started to let various people know our plans had changed.

Also, started to figure out what options were available to us, and what we might want to do and might be able to do.

We had accommodation and transport available to us in Felixstowe. However, the idea of simply spending time in the UK did not appeal.

We could go home to Cyprus? Possible, but not necessary just yet.

Another holiday was our first choice. Could we book a holiday in our current time frame, cost, warm location, etc? We started research but didn't get far.

It seemed our best move was to visit a travel agent in the morning and then make decisions. Fred. Olsen Travel in Felixstowe was our first thought.

Trains and hotels had been booked and paid for. Bags were packed. We cancelled and changed nothing.

Having spoke to Pat's brother, to let him know our situation, we were invited over for the evening.

This was a great distraction for us and an evening of monopoly, was very enjoyable.

Monday 30 January

Up and out to visit Fred. Olsen travel agents at 9 am. After discussing our situation and desires with Emily. She trawled the web and eventually came up with a resort holiday in Jamaica. The flight was the same as we were originally booked on, which gave us the advantage that all our peripheral travel plans could stand. It was now 10 am, Emily gave us all our paperwork.

Our train from Felixstowe was 11.28 am. We went back to the house and Pat took out our formal wear that was no longer required, as we were now on a beach resort holiday.

We tidied the house and shut things down. Along the way we spoke / messaged friends and family to say we were back on for a holiday.

Then the short trip to Felixstowe train station. We actually got there just after 11.00 am.

Our train was on time and we were on our way.

A change at Ipswich, then off to London Liverpool Street. The underground to Farringdon and then Gatwick.

Our flight had a bag drop available from 2 pm, so we headed in to the airport and checked in and got rid of the suitcases.

Next stop Premier Inn. With a room on the 10th floor. We had some snacks, so simply had a quiet night in.

Tuesday 31 January

A reasonable night's sleep. Stirred at 7 am. Walked over to departures and through security.

Flight was due at 10.15 am and we were in the air at 10.35 am.

What can you say about a nine and a half hour flight. We watched films were fed and the time passed by.

We landed local time 3.15 pm. Through immigration and on to baggage collection.

This next part turned out to be a complete clusterfuck.

The baggage usually is mainly in small containers usually headed to the cruise ship directly and not unloaded at the airport.

With the cruise cancelled all the luggage was to go into the airport. They were not ready for this and after nearly two hours of no communication, conspiracy theories, misinformation, Chinese whispers and passengers general displeasure the luggage got through.

It gives me no pleasure to tell you that our luggage was the last to arrive!!!!

Through Customs and out to the coaches for our transfer. Needless to say we set off a lot later than expected to our accommodation. Sadly, it was also getting dark and we were not able to see much, of the local surroundings.

A journey time of about hour and a half and we arrived at the hotel. We were given our room card keys, wristbands and some information.

Off to our room and straight out to find some food. The buffet restaurant, Orquidea was in full swing. Copious amounts of food on display and we filled our boots.

Then back to the room for a shower and bed. No unpacking tonight!

We were both tired due the travelling, time change, and I have picked up a runny nose and a slight cough.

Wednesday 1 February

A day of exploring and recovering was on the agenda.

We had breakfast in the Orquidea. We began researching the Island and tours we may wish to do.

Lunch in the beach restaurant. There was a meeting at 2 pm, with the Tui tour rep, to see what they have available as well.

At the meeting we booked a day tour for Friday, which will be visiting Blue Mountain, famous for it's coffee. Kingston, the capital, along with other points of interest.

Then off to the Spa, Pat wanted some treatments, which we booked these for Saturday.

We found the shopping complex and were given some great discounts (?) on the various and numerous items we purchased in one little shop that was delightful and had lots of things we wanted.

Dinner was in the Orquidea again.

As an aside here is more general information. The hotel is the third largest in Jamaica. It can hold 2500 people and has about 3000 staff!

It covers a very large area with swimming pools and beach coastline, with multiple restaurants, shops, gym and so on. The staff as a whole are almost infectiously happy and welcoming.

The hotel is quoted as a five star. I would say a good four star, but it is beginning to show it's age and that many people can take a toll on the property.

The guest nationalities are many, but lots of Americans.

Is it a hotel we would have booked under other circumstances? Maybe, maybe not, but with less than hour to choose, sitting in Travel Agents in Felixstowe, and having been able to use all our existing travel arrangements, we feel we made the right choice, and here I am sitting in the sunshine.




Advertisement



6th February 2023

Landed
What a turnaround for you both. Once settled, am sure you will have a wonderful caribbean holiday xx

Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb