My visit to Muir Woods


Advertisement
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post



Twelve Miles north of Golden Gate Bridge on the coastline of California, lies a thick forest full of redwood trees on a hilly terrain. This is MUIR WOODS named after the famous tree lover and conservationist Mr. John Muir.

This is the forest of gigantic Sequoia trees, the age of which ranges from several centuries to many thousand years. They are nearly 350 to 400 feet tall !!! and the diameter of the trunks range from 25 to 30 feet ! with the barks measuring 12 inches to 20 inches in thickness. Traversing through these conifer sky scrapper trees which have seen the times of Buddha and Julius Caesar ( and still going strong ) is one of the most unforgettable experiences which will remain in my memory as green as this evergreen forest itself.

Roaming in the thick forest amidst these gigantic conifers, my memory raced back on a fast track to my college days where the Botany Professor taught the class about these Sequoia trees. Forty years later, I was standing in front of these age old trees SEQUOIA SEMPERVIRENS and SEQUOIA GIGANTEAM actually feeling the touch of these marvelous creation of nature.

At the foot of many of these trees, there are huge gaping holes (potare in kannada ) inside which many people can comfortably sit and relax. .Walking leisurely amidst these wonder trees, is an enthralling experience. We spent nearly two hours inside this dense forest on eco friendly wooden tracks and forgot the rest of the world having completely mingled with the nature. This forest ( In US, forests are called Parks ) is protected by US NATIONAL PARKS and is beautifully maintained. I am eagerly looking forward to visit many more parks of this kind elsewhere in California, the home of Sequoias where these giant trees are protected and nurtured.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb