Bequia


Advertisement
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This is paradise. Bequia has a little of everything, including sheep's and goats. People are very friendly, food is good, steel bands were great. There is a Turtle haven. We went as a group in another of the mini van tours. This one was arranged by me. They have Hawksbill and Green Turtles, a few land ones. The procedure is to get them as they are hatching, they put them in tanks, feed them canned tuna until they are 4 years old. Then they release them, they mate at age 20 to 25 yrs, and come back to where they were hatched. The beach was full of eggs and hatch lings.
There is a small whaling museum, where we were lucky to have an 81 year old tell us tales. We saw the whaling boats, in actual use today, down by the beach.
We plan to stop here on our way back for Christmas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hawksbill 10  yrs oldHawksbill 10  yrs old
Hawksbill 10 yrs old

Check the contour of the his shell and pointy face.
Green TurtleGreen Turtle
Green Turtle

different head.
View from carView from car
View from car

If it would have been a clear day you could have seens Mustique and other islands.
Mowing Mowing
Mowing

The owenrs just moved them around to feed and mow.
Tour groupTour group
Tour group

Local woman said he had a son by driver, NO, not married, 3 kids altogether.
81 yr old whaler81 yr old whaler
81 yr old whaler

They were able to get 2 this year.
Paper Moon GalleyPaper Moon Galley
Paper Moon Galley

Pete was messing around.


Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb