Touring The Grenadines


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Salt Whistle BaySalt Whistle BaySalt Whistle Bay

Walking on the beach at Salt Whistle Bay.
What a relief… to be south of the hurricane belt and back in the Grenadines, some of the most beautiful islands in the world. We love the Grenadines and have spent a lot of time here. But surprisingly, have not seen it all. So once we rested up for a couple of days and recovered from our sail down it was time to kick back, relax, and explore.

We spent a couple of weeks touring the Grenadines. Of course we had to stop at some of our favorite anchorages, including Bequia and Union Island and the Tobago Cays and Mopion and Petite Saint Vincent… just to name a few. But we also wanted to check out some new anchorages as well. One place we stopped was Salt Whistle Bay, on the north end of Mayreau. We have always wanted to anchor at Salt Whistle Bay, but never got the opportunity for one reason or another. Either it was too crowded, or the weather was too rough, or a north swell made it untenable. But not this time! As we sailed by Mayreau we checked out the anchorage and found that the conditions were perfect. So we dropped the sails and
Hanging in Salt Whistle BayHanging in Salt Whistle BayHanging in Salt Whistle Bay

Enjoying a little hammock time- love the view!
motored in, set the hook and spent the day at Salt Whistle Bay- an anchorage that eluded us for nearly two years.

There really isn’t much to Salt Whistle Bay, which is what gives it such great appeal. The anchorage is in a small half-moon bay, with a perfect palm-tree lined beach. The quintessential island paradise! So we spent the day swimming and snorkeling and walking on the beach. It couldn’t have been nicer! But what makes this place special is that the island is so narrow on one side of the bay that you can look out to the Atlantic waters on the other side- spectacular! The view from the bow of our boat was stunning; you could even see the island Canouan in the distance. So we decided to set up the hammocks in the afternoon and enjoyed the rest of the day just hanging out. We could see why this anchorage is a favorite amongst boaters, and were excited that we finally got to stop here.

We would have stayed in the Grenadines for all of hurricane season if we could. But the weather was turning foul and the one thing this island chain lacks
Jay Revisiting MopionJay Revisiting MopionJay Revisiting Mopion

Check out the reflection in his sunglasses.
is protected anchorages. Tropical waves were hitting the area every 3-4 days, bringing strong winds and heavy rains, not to mention big thunder and lightening. We rode out one storm in Petite Saint Vincent that looked like Mordor. The sky opened up and released its fury, everything was black even though it was the middle of the day, and we were stuck riding out the squalls on our boat. Not much fun! So we decided to make a run for Grenada on the next weather window. We had planned to spend as much time as we could in the Grenadines before the brunt of hurricane season pushed us further south, and it looked like that time had finally come.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The GrenadinesThe Grenadines
The Grenadines

Looking out over PSV and PM.
PSVPSV
PSV

Riding out some nasty weather in Petite Saint Vincent.
BequiaBequia
Bequia

Tropical Waves rolling thru Bequia, totally socked in.


9th November 2009

St Vincent a real gem
Sad to hear that you had bad weather in St Vincent! Can't wait to re-visit this stunning group of islands.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb