Statia to Bequia


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


In early May we left St. Martin and sailed to Oranje Baai, St. Eustatius (also called Statia). We stayed there 2 days and one of the highlights of our visit was a hike to the crater rim of the Quill Volcano. Most people have never heard of Statia but in the 1700s it was the trade capitol of the Indies with over 100 ships in the harbor at a time.

After Statia we sailed to St. Kitts where we anchored for a couple of days and then to Nevis. St. Kitts and Nevis make up a twin island state that is independent with a British tradition. One day in Nevis we rented mountain bikes to ride around the island. While riding we saw wild greenback monkeys in the trees outside a residence.

Having bypassed Iles des Saintes twice before (just south of Guadeloupe), we decided to stop this time and explore for a few days. We anchored off the town of Bourg des Saintes, a pretty seaside town with many boutiques and restaurants. We walked to the top of the hill to Fort Napoleon where we saw breathtaking views of the harbor.

Next we sailed to St. Lucia
Iles des SaintesIles des SaintesIles des Saintes

View from Fort Napoleon.
where my sister visited us for a week. We did some hiking and spent one day in the rainforest riding the ziplines from tree to tree. We attended a fish fry in the small fishing village of Anse La Raye. The local fisherman bring their catch to the fish fry every Friday night and locals and foreigners alike come to the village to graze from table to table sampling the food. The music was loud and the town was crowded, but it was lots of fun and a chance to mingle with the locals.

Following St. Lucia we sailed to Bequia where we are currently anchored. Bequia is part of the multi island state of St. Vincent and the Grendadines. The Grenadines should keep us busy for a few weeks before we head further south for hurricane season.

Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pigeon Island, St. LuciaPigeon Island, St. Lucia
Pigeon Island, St. Lucia

Enjoying spending time with my sister Deb.


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb