Nevis, WI


Advertisement
Published: January 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Nesbit BeachNesbit BeachNesbit Beach

It's wild and surf's up on the north end of Nevis! Gorgeous!
We were among the fortunate invitees on a wonderful post-holiday junket to the land of gentle ocean breezes, beautiful sandy beaches lapped by warm water, gorgeous tropical foliage, amazing golf courses, wonderful fresh food, tasty beverages, and the pleasant company of a gaggle of other guests on Nevis, a tiny, unspoiled island in the West Indies.

So here I go, trying to provide ’Dear Readers’ with a glimpse of the highlights of the Nevis trip without inciting insane jealousy. To ease the green monster a bit, we are now home in New York State where it is bone chilling cold and snowing.

Our first destination was St. Kitts where a van awaited to whisk us to a boat to whisk us to Nevis. The van driver offered very interesting commentary on the ride (stay to the left) from the airport to the port. He punctuated his talk with the rattle of a large pod that seemed to be called the “chi chi.” The town looked bustling as it was getting ready for Carnivale. There were two huge cruise ships in port and waterfront development near the port sparkled pastel with a few new restaurants and retail stores and the
Nevis Public BeachNevis Public BeachNevis Public Beach

Love this look! Many of the native Navisians boats are painted like this. This beach is next to Mango - a great beach restaurant where we had lunch one day.
promise of more! Aboard the twin 300 hp powered Suzuki launch, the first mate offered rum punch to sip as our stern view of St Kitts got smaller on the horizon.

This was a relaxing time, the guys played golf, the gals sunned, read and were treated to amazing spa services – my “man” Reginald starred with the 50 minute “Sugar & Sparkle” massage (gold particles, cane sugar, minerals and apricot kernel oil combined in a scrub … I really did sparkle in the sun after the treatment). We all enjoyed the beaches, pools, marvelous views and coming together for cocktails on the patio at sunset as each day ended.

The photos tell most of the story.

We opted to “eat in” on our first night in Nevis. Almost too many cooks pitched in for a busy time (and some hot dancing) in the kitchen / great room of the host and hostess's villa. The French doors were open wide and inside became outside. We ate on the wrap-around porch and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Other island dining coups included Coconut Grove one night for dinner. Frommers calls Coconut “a hot choice." It's nestled in a coconut grove on the beach in a thatched / timber hut straight out of Tahiti!” Then there was lunch at Mango, steps from the beach, with a great view of St. Kitts. Mango suffered huge destruction during the hurricane and is beautifully re-decorated. Great menu! On our last night in Nevis, we all went for dinner at the resort in the Coral Grill. My lobster was accompanied by three sauces, saffron, citrus Hollandaise, and lemongrass-coriander vinaigrette. I happily dipped my spiny tail in all three. Wes had a similar arrangement of sauces for his meat. We shared a scallop appetizer and a chopped salad; both were delish. Our side trip to Canouan in the Grenadines is chronicled in a previous blog.

We'll be back to RVing soon, hopefully not too spoiled from these "unspoiled island adventures."

Hope you scroll all the way through some 17 photos, love comments (input at the end of this entry), also if you just happened upon this blog, you are cordially invited to subscribe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

St. Kitts HarborSt. Kitts Harbor
St. Kitts Harbor

We flew into and out of St. Kitts. The harbor is sweet. There seems to be some development in the waterfront area - a few new bars/restaurants and some retail space. There are almost always two huge cruise ships in port. This is from the launch headed toward Nevis.
Four Season ResortFour Season Resort
Four Season Resort

The resort is in the shadow of Mount Nevis. The villas are high up on the side of the mountain with great views of St. Kitts.
Fun Way to TravelFun Way to Travel
Fun Way to Travel

This photo of a very large private yacht was taken with full zoom from the villa.
Beach Bar Four Seasons NevisBeach Bar Four Seasons Nevis
Beach Bar Four Seasons Nevis

The 19th hole and delicious tropical drinks at this little bar between the pools!
Mount Nevis at Dawn From BoatMount Nevis at Dawn From Boat
Mount Nevis at Dawn From Boat

We had a great sun rise the day we hopped from Nevis to Canouan.
Green Monkey FamilyGreen Monkey Family
Green Monkey Family

Nevis is home to herds of cute green monkeys! Feeding them is a "no, no!" We happened upon a father and son who hadn't heard the ban on offering oranges to the monkey family. It sure helped keep them there for the cameras!
MangoMango
Mango

I "borrowed" this photo from the Four Season's web site. This restaurant has been totally re-decorated since we were here last ... beautiful AND the food was quite good.
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

My sister-in-law, Beth, took this beauty. We had great weather in Nevis. An occasional shower brought on rainbows like this one.
Cool Sunset - No Green FlashCool Sunset - No Green Flash
Cool Sunset - No Green Flash

Who else thinks the "green flash" is a figment of others' imaginations?
Coral Grill - Four SeasonsCoral Grill - Four Seasons
Coral Grill - Four Seasons

We enjoyed a nice meal here in the "Great House" at the FS.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb