History behind the walls


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

My husband and I decided to explore the historic sites of San Juan Puerto Rico starting at San Cristobal Fort and learn about the Spaniards military strategies during the Spanish era. The view overlooking the ocean is so spectacular and amazing. We went to the secret tunnels and mysterious dungeons where they kept their prisoners before executing them. Stop at the Capitolio of Puerto Rico home to the islands senate and house representatives. We walked to the Constitution Avenue and learn the history of buildings like casa de espana(Spanish house) and the "Plaza de Los presidentes" where they built a statues of all the U.S presidents who visited Puerto Rico. We also traveled through time exploring south Fortaleza street and learn the history behind the tapia theater and the famous Christopher Columbus plaza. Luckily that we were wearing comfortable shoes because we walked for over 3 1/2 hours on a very hot and humid day. For all travelers who want to do these, do make sure to apply lots of sun screen, wear hat, comfortable clothing and a good walking shoes. Do you know that coconut trees are not native from this island? All coconut trees in puerto Rico's were brought by the Spaniards coming from the Philippines and use them for water while exploring the new world, it so happen that they landed in puerto Rico and unload the coconuts which they brought from their journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb