Puerto Rico 2023 - Part II


Advertisement
Published: October 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The city of coffeeThe city of coffeeThe city of coffee

When we studied our guidebook in the weeks before going on this trip we noticed that the city Yauco referred to themselves as the city of coffee.

We just had to visit "the city of coffee"





When we studied our guidebook in the weeks before going on this trip we noticed that the city Yauco referred to themselves as the city of coffee. Considering how much coffee we drink we thought that we had better go there and at least have one cup of coffee each. The guidebook also mentioned that throughout the city there is plenty of street art. Since we also like street art we were hoping that the combination of two things we enjoy could make Yauco a place worth a short visit. It turned out that it was better than we expected. You may accuse us of being silly now but we have actually dedicated an entire blog entry to Yauco.



Coffee

Growing coffee has throughout the history been important for the economy of Yauco. They have really taken that fact to their hearts when they decided to label their hometown "the city of coffee". The main street is named Coffee Street, public art in the main street depicts coffee cups or even a stylised coffee bush complete with supersized coffee beans.



You might
Coffee StreetCoffee StreetCoffee Street

The main street is named Coffee Street
expect that this would lead to a vibrant coffee culture in Yauco and there being loads of cafés all over town. But surprisingly it is not so. There are fewer cafés in town than we expected. We only tried one of them, a major establishment next to Plaza Pública de Yauco Fernando de Pacheco y Matos. We have nothing to complain about the quality of the beverage and the food but it was nothing spectacular either.



We find this fixation on coffee in Yauco to be both silly and fun and the same time. You might say that it is our kind of silliness. That’s why we like it.



Street art

Another fixation they seem to have in Yauco is street art. Many walls and houses in the city are covered with large murals or have been given other kinds of artistic facelifts. Many of these artworks are of very good quality so we are pretty sure that they are made by qualified artists who know what they are doing.

=> In the square Plaza Pública de Yauco Fernando de Pacheco y Matos we found a spectacular painting on the ground. When
We just had to visit "the city of coffee"We just had to visit "the city of coffee"We just had to visit "the city of coffee"

Considering how much coffee we drink we thought that we had better go there
seen from the side it is flat and stretched out. But when seen from the front and through the lens of a camera an optical illusion makes it look three-dimensional. This technique is in art known as Trompe-l'œil.

=> A large section of an entire neighbourhood has been painted in bright colours in non-symmetrical geometric patterns. This really gave that neighbourhood a facelift. We know, because we saw pictures before and after they painted the houses.

=> A reoccurring theme in the murals are birds and insects.

=> Another reoccurring theme in the murals is sport athletes



Street art and coffee

The coffee fixation and the street art fixation came together in a few of the artworks throughout town. In several of the frescoes we found that coffee cups were featured in the image. In one of the paintings the background is ones and zeroes, and the zeroes are stylised too resemble coffee beans. In yet another picture there were coffee beans flying around.



Walking around in Yauco spotting coffee related artworks and installations and enjoying street art turned out to be a very pleasant way to spend two hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Public artPublic art
Public art

Public art in the main street depicting a cup of coffee
Public artPublic art
Public art

Public art in the main street depicting a cup of coffee
Public artPublic art
Public art

Stylised coffee bush complete with supersized coffee beans. Hmmm... Looks more like a coffee tree when we think about it
Public artPublic art
Public art

Coffee bush depicted
Notice that the "o" resembles a coffee beanNotice that the "o" resembles a coffee bean
Notice that the "o" resembles a coffee bean

They have really taken that fact that coffee is important for the economy of Yauco to their hearts
Map of YaucoMap of Yauco
Map of Yauco

Growing coffee has throughout the history been important for the economy of Yauco.
Coffee in street artCoffee in street art
Coffee in street art

Another fixation they seem to have in Yauco is street art.
Coffee in street artCoffee in street art
Coffee in street art

The coffee fixation and the street art fixation came together in a few of the artworks throughout town.
Coffee beans in street artCoffee beans in street art
Coffee beans in street art

In this painting the background is ones and zeroes, and the zeroes are stylised too resemble coffee beans.
Coffee cup in street artCoffee cup in street art
Coffee cup in street art

The ears are odd, the coffee cup is not
Coffee and coffee beans in street artCoffee and coffee beans in street art
Coffee and coffee beans in street art

Coffee and coffee beans are flying around
Spectacular painting Spectacular painting
Spectacular painting

When seen from the front and through the lens of a camera an optical illusion makes it look three-dimensional.
Spectacular painting Spectacular painting
Spectacular painting

But when seen from the side it is flat and stretched out.
Athlete and flowersAthlete and flowers
Athlete and flowers

A reoccurring theme in the murals is sport athletes
Bee or a waspBee or a wasp
Bee or a wasp

A reoccurring theme in the murals is insects
Bee or a waspBee or a wasp
Bee or a wasp

A reoccurring theme in the murals is insects


27th October 2023
Coffee cup in street art

Street Art!
The creativity of the artist are amazing.
27th October 2023
Coffee cup in street art

Nice walking tour
We enjoyed looking at all the street art. Seeing it also gave us a nice walking tour. Those ears do look funny though.../Ake
12th November 2023

Coffee and Street Art
It definitely seems like you were in your element in Yauco, combining coffee with street art. And why not write a whole blog entry on a place you really love, I say.
12th November 2023

Wonderful combination!
Yes, coffee and street art was a great combination. /Ake
13th November 2023

Street art and coffee
We love street art and coffee, so I really enjoyed this blog. The architecture and the streets have a vibe very similar to Merida (Yucatan, Mexico); I thought this when I read your first blog on Puerto Rico too :)
13th November 2023

Maybe a Merida vibe
I never got any specific Merida vibe when we were in Puerto Rico. But there was definitely a Central America feel there. /Ake

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb