Starting Central America


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Old PanamaOld PanamaOld Panama

On a small peninsula is the old part of Panama City. The prior location was raided so often from the land side that they finally founded it there where it was protected from three sides by the water.
After about five hours of 'sleep' on the rock-bottom hard floor of the airport I woke up with a pattern on my cheek that strangely resembled the floor tiling...and now in daylight dared to take the city bus downtown to Panama City.
My first feeling of Central America was rather nice. Didn't seem to dangerous, friendly and helpful people. I stayed at a 'testigos de jehova' youth hostel.
For the planed ship passage from the US back to Germany I was hunting for a US Visa. So I gave the US Consulate near the Canal a go. What a fortress. Situated on a hill, surounded by barbed wire and build like a prison! And no help available. Information via phone: pay money first. Appointment to clarify the visa issue or to apply: pay money first. Waiting time: not less than one month... gave up on this one and visited the nearby Miraflore Locks and the Canel Zone.
I also walked around half a day in the old town of Panama. By far the most beautiful part, and during the morning hours with no tourists and lots of pelicans abeautiful place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

New PanamaNew Panama
New Panama

The Panama Canal and economic influence from the US made the city boom.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb