Panama City


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
January 24th 2007
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Panama City

Bocas del Toro - David - San Carlos - Panama City.

Crane ViewCrane ViewCrane View

Boys will be boys... Ben couldn´t resist climbing up this crane.
Panama City!

Big place, home to over a million people. Its skyline looks very similar to Vancouver´s, with many more under construction. Panama is an international banking center with over 80 international banks (including ScotiaBank) and the skyline reflects this.

After an extremely cold (like sleeping bag cold) overnight bus from Bocas del Torro, we arrived in the city. Panama city is very influenced by the U.S., with freeways, big bridges and huge shopping malls. The US had full sovereignty over the Canal Zone until 2000 so I guess it only makes sense....(not to mention every American fast food chain is found here too). There are hundreds of semi-retired U.S. school buses on the roads that have been pimped out; including suspension lifts, headers, custom exhausts and detailed paint jobs! Pretty amusing seeing these beasts roaring around. So we´ve spent a few days here taking in the sights and sounds, namely the old city, city park and the canal. The Panama Canal is definately an engineering marvel of the world and was a big highlight. We were lucky to see two massive car carriers (5000+ cars each) go through the locks when we were there!

Another big highlight
Locks - One of ThreeLocks - One of ThreeLocks - One of Three

Start of this suspenseful viewing!
was meeting Peter, a retired Canal Pilot and his lovely wife Lesley who invited us down to their place on the Pacific. Peter and Lesley Tassel were wonderful hosts and made us feel right at home for the two nights we stayed there. They live right on the coast overlooking the ocean and showed us around the area including a trip to the beautiful highlands of El Valle in the interior. Muchas Gracias for the wonderful hospitality; it was definately a treat to have a taste of home. It was much appreciated and will be remebered long after this trip is done!

So our original plan was to sail to Columbia, but due to the heavy seas in the Atlantic, most charters are cancelled this month. Instead of wating around to get seasick on a sailboat, we bought some tickets on a flight to Cartagena, Columbia leaving tomorrow.

Big thumbs up for Central America. We loved it and will definately be back. Adios C.A.!

Stay tuned for part II of our adventures - coming soon to a computer near you....


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Locks - Three of ThreeLocks - Three of Three
Locks - Three of Three

And the gates are open and the cargo ships are off to the races...
Jesus BusJesus Bus
Jesus Bus

There are tons of these buses throught the town. All decked out. They are used as the local buses.
Canadain EmbassyCanadain Embassy
Canadain Embassy

We made it to the Canadian Embassy in Panama City, this ones for Big Ben.
Panama CityPanama City
Panama City

Here is a civialized way to take a picture of the city!
For the momsFor the moms
For the moms

Here is a cute picture for the moms! We miss you...
¿Which way is North?¿Which way is North?
¿Which way is North?

We found this in the Department of Foreign Affairs building.
PosingPosing
Posing

Nastassia showing off her statute like poses.
Huge CockHuge Cock
Huge Cock

That about sums this one up!
Real City LifeReal City Life
Real City Life

A rougher part of the city... the water looks very polluted.
Bridge of the AmericasBridge of the Americas
Bridge of the Americas

This connects South and Central America as well as bridges the river to the canals.
Peter and LesleyPeter and Lesley
Peter and Lesley

Our wonderfull hosts in Panama. Many thanks to Peter and Lesley for opening their beautiful home to a couple of straglers and making us feel right at home!
Missing one thing....Missing one thing....
Missing one thing....

ME, but I had to get a picture of this amazing atmosphere at Peter and Lesley´s house.
El Valle MarketEl Valle Market
El Valle Market

We went to the market on a day trip with Lesley to El Valle.
Yet another Dedication to MikeYet another Dedication to Mike
Yet another Dedication to Mike

And YES this price is in america dollars!!


24th January 2007

39 cent beer
Maybe you have guessed i am fairly bored at work. I have a four break between practices today and there are no waves. Ok enough of my crying. I want some 39 cent beer. Pretty sweet photos. Be careful of those columbians down there. If you run into any trouble make sure to tell them that youu are canadien. Better yet you should probably fly your flag. Cheers, Dave
27th January 2007

oh so jealous
I just read through all of your entries and looked at all your pictures! Oh my goodness.... it sounds like you guys are having an amaizing time!!! I hope that your future travels lead to amaizing things. I'm so jealous and excited for you. Enjoy!!! Luv Pam
2nd February 2007

Incredible, amazing, wonderful pictures, It sounds like the traveling pair is truly living the dream. I can’t wait to share some amazing memorable stories back home after the standard 8 to 5 shift. That is if you two are ever to return to Canada. Take Good Care.
21st February 2007

There you are!
I didn't see your new blogs until today and Nastassia, I love the picture for the moms. The pictures at that point got very blurry, "watery' etc. You two look fantastic! What adventures you are having. It seems far away from all this snow at the moment. Mike said today, that he is ready for Mexico! xoxo mom

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb