Escape the vortex


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama Canal
February 27th 2014
Published: February 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

The great Panama Canal



Fun fact. Excavation of the Canal was equal to digging a trench ten feet deep by fifty-five feet wide from California to New York. That would be impressive even today but this year the Canal celebrates it's 100th birthday.





I'm up at six and on deck as we approach the first chamber. The total rise from the Atlantic to Lake Gutan is 85 feet and we pass through three chambers to make the climb. Gravity powers the water, not pumps, and the walls are original. Gates have been replaced and spare gates are located in the lake, literally. The first time I went through the locks, the toll was $250,000. Today it's up to $400,000.



The day is slightly overcast which makes the viewing pleasant. Delicious Panama Rolls are served on deck and our narrator explains what we are seeing. The new locks were scheduled to open on the 100th anniversary but have been delayed. Now it looks like 2015 (their estimate) or more likely 2016-17.



The locomotives job is to keep the ship centered while the vessel passes through the ship under it's own power. Communication between the pilots on the bridge and stern and the locomotives is acknowledged by lights on top the locomotives and bells. It is a simple system that works very well.



This trip I do not have a tour so I spend my time in Lake Gutan watching the traffic exiting the locks. All too soon we are heading back through the locks to the Atlantic. Frigate birds circle the bow and there is a croc on the bank napping.



The rest of the day alternates showers and intense sun. I swim, read, nap, and eat. Supposed to have dinner in the Pinnacle Grill but rescheduled since I wasn't very hungry. Always enjoy dinner with table mates and was able to get up enough appetite to enjoy my meal.



Stopped be the Queens Lounge where the B B King Band was rocking. They seem to have such fun together and are really really good from Jazz to Rock and Blues. Tomorrow is a early day so I turned. Thankfully the clocks go back an hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb