San Blas, Panama - our trip to the past


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post



Archipelago San Blas is located on the Caribbean coast of Panama. San Blas consists of 378 islands, but only 49 of them are inhabited by independent Kuna Yala Indians.

You can get from Panama City to archipelago San Blas by plane - the trip will take only about 20 minutes. Or you can go by car - like we did.

It's just 2 hours by car from the city, but be ready that half of this time you will spend on twisting mountain road. So if you have a seasickness, this road will be a little nightmare for you. But you will forget everything immediately when you arrive.



Suddenly you appear in the past as if you have arrived there on a time machine…

The Kuna Yala Indians have their own world there, autonomous, with its own economy, culture, customs and traditions.

Imagine a small island in the middle of the beautiful caribbean sea with wooden huts on it. No TV, no internet, no traffic… Yes, it's hard to believe, but there is still a place on earth like this!!!

So don't be very surprised when you will see 2 women in traditional bright dresses sailing with canoe from their island to the neighbor island… Don't try to pinch yourself - you are not going to wake up, 'cause it's not a dream! And it's even not a movie. Kuna Yala are real. They live here and now, but at the same time - several centuries ago 😊

Ok, let's go back to our couple travelling to San Blas... Read more.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb