The Kuna Yala


Advertisement
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kuna Lady Peddling Molas Kuna Lady Peddling Molas Kuna Lady Peddling Molas

I felt guilty for haggling after I later heard that the old women are often blind after so many years of concentrating on such tiny stitches.
The Kuna are an admirable little bunch in that they are one of the few indigenous peoples in the Americas that managed to resist European domination or, as often was the case, extermination.

Their historical tenacity is in sharp contrast to their current peaceful and welcoming nature. But this veneer belies the fact that as recently as 1925 they kicked the Panamanian police of their islands in protest of an attempt to suppress their traditional ways. This act contributed toward the Kuna having a remarkable amount of political autonomy, some claim more than any other indigenous group in all of Latin America.

Back in the day (1500’s ish), the Spanish almost did a good job of wiping out the Kuna completely. As was always the case, this was mainly due to imported diseases. Many Kuna were murdered in order to get at their gold nose rings and many more were taken as slaves. They became allies with the British in order to win independence from Spain and much later (in 1925) became allies with the USA in order to achieve the autonomy that they enjoy today.

The fact that they live on some of the most beautiful islands
Isla Wichubdupdummad (Honestly)Isla Wichubdupdummad (Honestly)Isla Wichubdupdummad (Honestly)

Where we were fed and made to feel very welcome.
in the world, must be a reason why they have been particularly resistant to change. The Archipélago de San Blas are the archetypal desert islands. White sand, palm trees and little bamboo huts, all surrounded by crystal clear seas brimming with fish.

The economy of the islands is mostly export of coconuts and fish. The strip of mainland Panama that the Kuna control provides them with freshwater, fruits and vegetables. They are not rich people in the modern western view of the world, but they have everything they need and are content with their lot.

Ownership and governance of each tiny island rotates every three months between families and a non-Kuna is prohibited from owning land. Thus there are very few hotels here; accommodation for tourists is typically a hammock or a yacht.

The Kuna men have given up the traditional dress in favour of old shorts and a dirty t-shirt. The women, however, look fantastic. They wear very colourful sarongs topped with flowery seventies blouses. On their wrists and ankles they wrap long strings of brightly coloured beads and they usually have thick gold rings through their noses. Despite these adornments they could definitely do more with their hair.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Onboard Stella LunaOnboard Stella Luna
Onboard Stella Luna

The best way to see Archipelago de San Blas. It took three and a half days of sailing to get there from Cartagena, Colombia.
Another Stunning Uninhabited IslandAnother Stunning Uninhabited Island
Another Stunning Uninhabited Island

Its hard not to start planning where your house would go.
Kuna Mother and SonKuna Mother and Son
Kuna Mother and Son

Little families often pulled up alongside the yacht to sell us lobster and fish.
Yet Another Beautiful IslandYet Another Beautiful Island
Yet Another Beautiful Island

Someone got to this one first.
Kuna vs TouristsKuna vs Tourists
Kuna vs Tourists

Probably the nicest place I have ever played football. It finished 5-5.
KunaKuna
Kuna

Interesting flag.
Interkuna FA CupInterkuna FA Cup
Interkuna FA Cup

Half the pitch was underwater, half the players had bare feet, still a good match.
Camarca de Kuna Yala to Panama City HighwayCamarca de Kuna Yala to Panama City Highway
Camarca de Kuna Yala to Panama City Highway

A beautiful journey through the jungle but we often had to walk the steep muddy bits.
Panama CityPanama City
Panama City

Looking at the very modern part across the bay from the very old part.
Miraflores Locks on that CanalMiraflores Locks on that Canal
Miraflores Locks on that Canal

Now it's at sea level.
Miraflores Locks on that CanalMiraflores Locks on that Canal
Miraflores Locks on that Canal

Eight minutes later it is eight metres higher.
Boquete HighlandsBoquete Highlands
Boquete Highlands

Home of officially the best coffee in the world 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Volcan Baru, Panama's Highest PeakVolcan Baru, Panama's Highest Peak
Volcan Baru, Panama's Highest Peak

Apparently there’s a cracking view.
The Beautiful Summit of Volcan BaruThe Beautiful Summit of Volcan Baru
The Beautiful Summit of Volcan Baru

A 2000m climb, a 30km round trip, 7.5 hours, not bad.
Guaymi Lady Waiting for the BusGuaymi Lady Waiting for the Bus
Guaymi Lady Waiting for the Bus

I like this aspect of Panama. In Costa Rica you never see any indigenous people.
Red Frog Beach, Bocas del ToroRed Frog Beach, Bocas del Toro
Red Frog Beach, Bocas del Toro

It might look cute but one pet could kill you. The frog not the kid.
Dolphin Bay, Bocas del Toro Dolphin Bay, Bocas del Toro
Dolphin Bay, Bocas del Toro

Where every morning a few lucky dolphins get to see schools of tourists.


9th August 2010

las aventuras son

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb