Our Panama Canal Cruise - Through the Canal, 1992 March 24 – 28


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Colón
March 24th 1992
Published: April 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The highlight and purpose of our trip was sailing through the Panama Canal. My father and I spent almost the whole day on our balcony watching the landscape pass by. Because we both had read The Path Between the Seas , we frequently discussed the history of failing to create the canal and the evidence of the final success, plus obvious on-going problems with side-wall collapse. This day was the culmination of my father's engineering interest in the design and construction of the project, his career speciality, albeit in the field of electric power. Throughout the canal passage, narration and commentary were played on the TV, which we could hear from our balcony chairs.

Surprisingly, I took almost no photos during the passage; however, in 2010 I took a land tour in Panama, and this blog entry is enhanced by some of those photos - of places that did not change in the interim.



Tuesday March 24

Arrived at the Cristobal harbour, the Atlantic entrance to the Panama Canal at 6:30 AM, to wait our turn. Picked up the Pilot and Port Officers at 7:15 AM. Navigation of the channel to the Canal was marked by solar-powered buoys. A tug
Tug has delivered the canal pilot Tug has delivered the canal pilot Tug has delivered the canal pilot

Required for the entire transit
sailed alongside the whole way to the lock entrance but was never attached to the ship.

The entrance to the first Gatun lock started at 8:40 AM. Completed the entrance at 9:00 AM. Raised the 28 feet of the lock by 9:10 AM. Sail to the second lock began at 9:12 AM.

There were 6 Mules used to move the ship, located at the 4 corners of the ship and one on each side amidships. These Mules (so named after the mule that was the common motive power in other canals), riding on rails, used a rack for traction. At several places these Mules climb slopes of about 30 degrees. Each Mule was attached to the ship by a tow cable that was used for towing and restraint.

Completed the transit of the three Gatun locks and entered Gatun Lake at 10:10. This lake is a reservoir formed by a dam on the Chagres River . This storage is used in the process of raising the ships in the locks. There are no pumps used to transfer the water. All the water to fill the locks is delivered by gravity.

Passed Gamboa at 11:30 AM. The Chagres
Exiting canal lock Exiting canal lock Exiting canal lock

Pedestrians cross on a pathway on top of the gates, when they are closed.
River enters Gatun locks near here. There is also a Hydro Electric Dam on the Chagres River at 2 km. from Lake Gatun. After Balboa we entered the Gaillard Cut, earlier referred to as the Culebra Cut. Judy and I got a seat in the dining room for lunch (helped by the Maître D) next to a window to better view the strata through the cut. This cut was the nemesis of the French attempt at the Canal and still presents a problem from sliding earth. The hill beside the Cut was originally 410 feet above sea level, subsequently reduced to 370 feet to provide elusive stabilization. The Canal water level is established by Gatun Lake, and this cut is 85 feet.

Entered Pedro Miguel lock at 1:09 PM, completed transit by 1:24 PM, into Miraflores Lake at 2:12 PM. Completed the transit of the last two locks by 2:55. We are now at Pacific Ocean sea level.

On the way out of the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal, Port of Balboa, we passed the hydraulic dredge that is used to maintain the necessary 38 feet of draft specified. The draft of the Princess Royal increased by
Entering canal lock Entering canal lock Entering canal lock

This freighter was behind us all the way.
between 4 and 7 inches in the fresh water of the canal.

Passed from the Port of Balboa under the Bridge of the Americas to the Pacific Ocean 3:28 PM.

The Panama Canal was very hot and humid making this a tough day for us Northerners. There is almost 200 inches of rain-fall per year, which explains the lush growth. There are about 500 species of birds in Panama.

The Royal Princess paid a fee of $7,200 for this crossing. It’s based on tonnage and payload.



Wednesday March 25

At sea on the Pacific Ocean. Quite warm, 30 Celsius or above. The sea is very calm. Little perceptible wind. A day to relax. Watched the birds fishing, exercised, and read books.

The highlight of the day was a Champagne waterfall. Champagnes glasses were stacked pyramid style 12 glasses high, one on top. Champagne was poured in the top glass, which overtopped, and the Champagne cascaded down from tier level to tier level filling the glasses at each tier which then overtopped down to the next tier until all the glasses were full. We did not stay until all the glasses were full.
Gatun Lake (2010)Gatun Lake (2010)Gatun Lake (2010)

Created as a reservoir for the gravity-fed locks.
Champagne was served to all the spectators. Quality not the best.



Thursday March 26

Another day at sea. The morning was hazy and hot. Nothing exciting – read books all day. No birds around the ship. Saw a few flying fish. Some people reported seeing porpoises. Watched Dining Room personnel make Crepes Suzette.



Friday March 27

At sea. Air hazy. No birds or sea life seen. Arrived Acapulco at 2 PM, later than expect due to sea currents.

Our tour of Acapulco was very interesting. After two ten-minute stops for photographers, we made a half-hour stop at the Acapulco Princess Hotel (not a part of the Princess Cruise Lines) - a fabulous hotel for the very rich. 550 rooms including 3 penthouses. Room rents start at $350 per day.

Next stop, 45 min., at AFA Tourist Shop, where they hand out free beers and/or Pepsi. A very extensive shop, supposedly the best for tourists. Purchased a shirt, not cheap but very in-style for Mexico.

Third stop at cliff divers. Served soft drinks. Saw three divers jump from cliff into a sea channel. Height of jumping off point 130 feet,
Chagres River (2010)Chagres River (2010)Chagres River (2010)

Natural outflow from the lake
water depth 25 feet.

Downtown traffic is much like any major city. The busses move quite well in this mess of motor cars.Returned to the ship just in time to change and get the first-sitting for dinner. Packed our bags to be picked up at 8:00 PM and set them outside our stateroom.



Saturday March 28

Had breakfast and vacated our stateroom at 10:00 AM. There was a place to check our hand luggage. Had lunch on board at 12:00 noon. Left ship at 2:00 PM by bus to the airport through fairly heavy traffic.

Airport service was hectic, but by requesting a wheelchair we obtained excellent service from the tourist guide, who checked us in while we waited. Everybody who was not handicapped stood in a slow-moving line. Waited with the other handicapped passengers and travelling companions for assistance from Delta Airlines, which turned out to be after the plane was loaded with the other passengers. I was wheeled out of the building. Some of the wheelchair pushers were not allowed on the ramp for security reasons. Because we did not understand Spanish, I was not sure of all the reasons. Wheeled about
Terrace to help moderate erosion (2010)Terrace to help moderate erosion (2010)Terrace to help moderate erosion (2010)

Combined with constant dredging to maintain sufficient draft for ships
a city block across the ramp to the airplane on the tarmac. Departed 20 minutes late.

Arrived in L.A. on time, and the wheelchair passengers were assisted through Customs and Immigration. An elevator failed to work so, after permission from Security, we went through key-operated doors and elevators, got through the regulatory customs and security, arriving at the plane departure lounge 5 minutes before loading. Departed late but arrived Calgary on time. Again, thanks to Judy pre-requesting a wheelchair, we moved through Customs and the airport in record time. A very enjoyable and interesting trip.

View map of our cruise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Entering the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)Entering the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)
Entering the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)

Vessels of all sizes use the canal, paying according to draft.
In the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)In the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)
In the Pedro Miguel lock (2010)

Deceptive fall in water level
Miraflores lock (2010)Miraflores lock (2010)
Miraflores lock (2010)

Waiting for it to be full of vessels
Mules, of the electric type (2010)Mules, of the electric type (2010)
Mules, of the electric type (2010)

Gentle pull on the ships, to keep control
Miraflores westward gates  (2010)Miraflores westward gates  (2010)
Miraflores westward gates (2010)

One-hundred year old technology still functioning well
Bridge of the Americas, south sideBridge of the Americas, south side
Bridge of the Americas, south side

The only structure connecting North and South America at the time
Gulf of Panama, on Pacific Ocean Gulf of Panama, on Pacific Ocean
Gulf of Panama, on Pacific Ocean

End of slow, yet exciting day
Souvenir of passage Souvenir of passage
Souvenir of passage

Stamp cancelled on board the ship
Judith and Ron at the formal dinner on Royal Princess Judith and Ron at the formal dinner on Royal Princess
Judith and Ron at the formal dinner on Royal Princess

Excellent celebration of an excellent day


19th April 2021

Learned something today
<> I admit I had never considered what the added buoyancy of saltwater meant for ships. Fascinating. I'm glad your trip included the full transit.
20th April 2021

Learned something
Not sure why I am still amazed at how different environments can be. A prairie soul has difficulty in seeing the ocean's effect on life there.

Tot: 0.694s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 40; qc: 145; dbt: 0.31s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb