El Dia de los Simbolos Patrios - Day of Panamanian Independance


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » Boquete
November 5th 2015
Published: November 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On November 10, 182 the residents of Azuero declared their separation from the Spanish Empire, without sanction of the cental government in Panama City. Their declaration was called El Grito de La Villa de Los Santos (Cry From the Town of Saints). The central government dismissed the action as impotent and meaningless. However, separatist sentiment had been speading, and El Grito had been heard by the entire country. Feeling out numbered, the acting Govenor General decared Panama City's support for independence, and the military stood aside.


The Panamanian people were free from Spain. Now, though, Panama was a department of Columbia. It was not long before the Panamanians grew tired of a distant, government. They made several attempts to secede. War erupted, in 1899, as a reaction to a treaty with the United States. The battle between Panama and Columbia raged for a thousand days. Finally, the Hay–Bunau-Varilla treaty between the United States, and Panama was signed in 1903. Panama was declared an independant country and the United States would remain to begin a grand project, the Panama Canal.





Panama, has had many new beginnings since. El Dia de los Simbolos Patrios is a celebration of the lifes of so many patiots that fought for the people of their country. Festivities like this certaily are appropriate.

Follow these hyperlinks to videos:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7-JscBd6o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6A7crgJTKg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdOijeA3jqE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZV5DeSnUJc


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb