Background: With US backing, Panama seceded from Colombia in 1903 and promptly signed a treaty with the US allowing for the construction of a canal and US sovereignty over a strip of land on either side of the structure (the Panama Canal Zone). The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. On 7 September 1977, an agreement was signed for the complete transfer of the Canal from the US to Panama by the end of 1999. Certain portions of the Zone and increasing responsibility over the Canal were turned over in the intervening years. With US help, dictator Manuel NORIEGA was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining US military bases were turned over to Panama by or on 31 December 1999.
Blogs from Boquete
Latest Blogs from Boquete
- May 23rd 2013 Day 47: Rafting the Rapids in Bquete
by Words: 1526 Photos: 2
- May 22nd 2013 Day 46: Travelling from Bocas to Boquete
by Words: 1004 Photos: 3
- January 8th 2013 What's Wrong With Boquete?
by Words: 14 Photos: 2
- December 27th 2012 Top 10 Things I Will Miss About Panama
by Words: 15 Photos: 0
- December 18th 2012 A Panama Christmas
by Words: 14 Photos: 1
- December 4th 2012 What type of bridge do you wish to build?
by Words: 21 Photos: 0
- December 2nd 2012 Everybody Loves a Bombero
by Words: 10 Photos: 1
- November 24th 2012 Retirement - It's not what you think
by Words: 19 Photos: 1
- November 17th 2012 Back Home in Panama
by Words: 12 Photos: 0
- September 26th 2012 Food
by Words: 823 Photos: 14
- September 13th 2012 Faux Pas of Panama
by Words: 851 Photos: 4
- September 6th 2012 Everything will be okay in the end and if it is NOT okay, than clearly it is NOT the end!
by Words: 448 Photos: 10
- September 1st 2012 Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should..
by Words: 2899 Photos: 12
- August 29th 2012 Just another day in Boquete
by Words: 646 Photos: 14
- August 23rd 2012 A new casasita y carne
by Words: 840 Photos: 10
- August 22nd 2012 A Stitch in Time
by Words: 495 Photos: 2
- August 22nd 2012 Ride Sally Ride
by Words: 275 Photos: 8
- August 21st 2012 Where does your coffee come from?
by Words: 405 Photos: 13
- August 20th 2012 So you think you know rain
by Words: 742 Photos: 0
- August 20th 2012 Tidbits from the mountains
by Words: 2554 Photos: 10